Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Public Interest  (Read 679 times)

buggy

• View Profile
Public Interest
« on: September 21, 2005, 10:03:42 PM »
Hey all,

I just got back from a session at my school discussing opportunities in public interest.  At one point the rep from the career office said that the well known organizations such as ACLU, Sierra Club etc. are reserved only for folks who come from a top school. 

I am at a Tier Two.  Are my dreams of working for the ACLU over unless I can transfer up?  Please, someone tell me they know someone from a Tier Two who is working at a large Public Interest organization!!!

Thank you!

BigPimpinBU

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Public Interest
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2005, 10:11:19 PM »
There are definitely people working at those places from T2. With that said though, when I hear people who "dream of working for the ACLU," it evokes the "dream of serving in the Waffen SS." (Umm, Godwin's law does not apply, since this was not an argument).

dgatl

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2005, 11:47:16 PM »
Hey all,

I just got back from a session at my school discussing opportunities in public interest.  At one point the rep from the career office said that the well known organizations such as ACLU, Sierra Club etc. are reserved only for folks who come from a top school. 

I am at a Tier Two.  Are my dreams of working for the ACLU over unless I can transfer up?  Please, someone tell me they know someone from a Tier Two who is working at a large Public Interest organization!!!

Thank you!

public interest positions are often more competitive than the biglaw jobs.  there are plenty of students at top law schools that are willing to make under $40k a year to fight for a cause.  also, schools like Columbia and Harvard offer significant loan repayment programs for students that enter public interest.  while going to a T2 does not preclude you from public interest, it probable precludes you from starting your career at a place like the ACLU, which can easily fill its ranks with students from Harvard, Yale, Columbia, and other top top schools.

tresbuchon

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2005, 09:09:06 PM »
public interest positions are often more competitive than the biglaw jobs.  there are plenty of students at top law schools that are willing to make under $40k a year to fight for a cause.

Not really!

tingirl

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2005, 01:30:16 PM »
I have a friend at a tier 2 who works for the state office of the ACLU. She applied for a public interest fellowship from her school and spent her 1L summer with them, and that turned into a part time job during her 2L year. And she's not at the top of her class either.
So that's my two cents.