Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: I'm looking for your impressions of Widener Harrisburg  (Read 5213 times)

proletariat

• View Profile
I'm looking for your impressions of Widener Harrisburg
« on: September 16, 2005, 08:54:51 PM »
I live 20 minutes from the school, they have a part time program, and there is a possibility (however remote) that I may be able to get some scholarship money.

Also, I'm 28, new father, married 3 years, planning to hold down a job, and go at night to the extended program.

All that said, I'm curious to hear any impressions or ramblings from those who are at Harrisburg now.

Is is what you expected as far as difficulty?
Is the brutal grading curve fact or fiction?

Eh, anything you have to say or have on your mind will be good to read.  If you want, include some personal things like what kind of student you were, if you're an over/under acheiver, if they offered you $, age, kids, part time, job, etc.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: I'm looking for your impressions of Widener Harrisburg
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2005, 09:49:27 PM »
You may want to head over to the pre-law board.  I think twarga goes there, and she still posts fairly often. She's non-trad, with a family, so she may be able to address some of your concerns.

niki1244

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2005, 06:23:54 PM »
I love it . . . and it wasn't even close to where I wanted to go. 

I am 25, three years out of undergrad, single and unemployed.  I chose Widener because it is the only school that I was accepted to (don't ask).  That said, I love it here.  The professors are extremely helpful as are the rest of the faculty and staff.  At times, I feel that some of the lower end students bring the classes down but overall, I am very happy.

While school in general is not super easy, it is certainly not the big bad wolf everyone makes it out to be.  I find the workload very manageable.  You just have to set a schedule for yourself and stick with it.  I am current with all of my outlines and have never had to go to class unprepared.  Keep in mind however, that I also have not taken a final exam.  I  have taken one practice exam though and did pretty well. 

There is a C+ (or is it C-) grading curve, which is harsh.  However, if you are planning on staying in the area after graduation, Widener has a very good local rep and I would imagine employers know about the curve here.  If you want to venture to a bigger market, I would imagine you need to be at the top of the class. 

ETA: I am a full-time student but I hope this information helps anyway. 

legalkitty

• Sr. Citizen
  • The more people I meet, the more I like my cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2005, 01:26:36 PM »
I love it, too, and I agree that the workload is very manageable and the profs are good. They also really seem to want you to succeed. I think Niki1244 put it well saying that LS is not the big bad wolf it is made out to be.

I highly recommend it!
Attending: Widener PA!!
http://www.aldf.org

proletariat

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2005, 08:10:14 PM »
Well, I got accepted but with no money.  It's down to Maryland and Widener part-time programs depending on how Maryland like what I had to say, and if I want to have a hellish commute to Baltimore.

legalkitty

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2005, 08:32:34 PM »
Well, I got accepted but with no money.  It's down to Maryland and Widener part-time programs depending on how Maryland like what I had to say, and if I want to have a hellish commute to Baltimore.

Well, congrats just the same!! I didn't mention in my last post that I am in the extended division, so I really know what you would be facing. Like we all said, it's very manageable and I truly love it.

Best of luck getting into Maryland, but why make the commute to law school if you don't have to? I am sure you already have enough to do in your life!!

StrictlyLiable

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2006, 07:43:11 PM »
The curve is absolute fact and is an incredible b1tch. I have a pair of kids as well and my only comment is to be prepared to only seem them on weekends. Law school is going to become the dominant part of your life and the faculty doesn't care what other responsibilities you have (whether it be work or family). They expect school to always be on the top of your priority list.

monika

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2006, 06:27:06 PM »
DO NOT GO TO WIDENER! I realize you think that hard work automatically pays off but there are plenty of law student's at Widener that bust their asses for 3 years only to be unable to find a job that can pay off their debt. The only trial law you will practice out of Widner is some DUI cases and a whole lot of personal injury. If you are really lucky, maybe some wrongful death. Sounds like a great career. Good luck!

proletariat

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2006, 09:28:12 PM »
DO NOT GO TO WIDENER! I realize you think that hard work automatically pays off but there are plenty of law student's at Widener that bust their asses for 3 years only to be unable to find a job that can pay off their debt. The only trial law you will practice out of Widner is some DUI cases and a whole lot of personal injury. If you are really lucky, maybe some wrongful death. Sounds like a great career. Good luck!

What's your story?  I need some context before I can take you seriously.

legalkitty

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2006, 03:02:55 PM »
Yeah, and the curve?? Let's all get over it. It's a C+ first of all, and I really didn't find it to be THAT terrible. And for one class we had in the Spring that the people who dipped below a 2.3 had to drop to take some remedial class, they Upped the curve to a 2.7 for that class. Very fair.

It's really not that big of a deal. They still give out plenty of As and Bs to those who work for them.