Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: I'm getting hard.  (Read 7247 times)

giraffe205

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: I'm getting hard.
« Reply #30 on: November 20, 2005, 03:08:37 AM »
During my first year, no one talked smack about others, but everyone thought highly of themselves. At the time, I thought that my first year was competitive, but it pales in comparison to what second year is like. The fact that schools post the names of who made law review and the honors moot court team makes it easier for others to spot you and hate you. Add to it on-campus interviews and it just becomes a war of dirty looks. I know that at the T14s they bid for interviews, which makes it less competitive. Unfortunately, however, at my school the employers select us, which is why ppl will hate you come next year. You can do things like change into your suit for the interview and then change back out to ease the spotting, but it won't help much b/c everyone keeps asking you about jobs. If you tell them that you got a callback or an offer, word quickly spreads. The only ppl who seem to be supportive are those who are in your circle of friends and others on law review.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but it will only get worse come next year. However, in your third year it does get much better since everyone pretty much has a job and the last competitive process is interviews for federal clerkships.

DC

• Click Profile to change this text.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 02, 2005, 07:20:14 AM »
I don't really think it's only 1Ls who are stressed out. I am a 2L and while it's a bit easier by now, there still stress!

Although the amount of work decreases with the passing of time, the stress level remains pretty much the same throughout law school. I'd assume once you are relieved from writing papers after your first year, you stress to get to write for law review or participate in Moot Court during your second year. And if by the third year you're looking so hard for a job and still have not been able to find one, you can figure out for youself ...

terapist

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2006, 07:31:45 AM »
Dude...I've been a misanthrope for about 10 years now. So that possibility is out.

Homeless human hunting? Sounds like a movie my Governor was in. And regardless, that'd be too easy cuz I'm a crack shot. I want something wiley, weasely, and elusive...like a contracts professor (not mine, of course).

Long hate the misanthrope.

lol ;)

signi

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: February 08, 2006, 06:17:34 PM »
During my first year, no one talked smack about others, but everyone thought highly of themselves. At the time, I thought that my first year was competitive, but it pales in comparison to what second year is like. The fact that schools post the names of who made law review and the honors moot court team makes it easier for others to spot you and hate you. Add to it on-campus interviews and it just becomes a war of dirty looks.

Thank God many of us here did not make Law Review!

jd2b06

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 09, 2006, 07:34:22 PM »
Hey crazymofo - I completely identify with what you're going through.  I was completely excited about coming to law school.  I've always been pretty laid-back and able to take stress in stride.  By now, I'm a frazzled neurotic capable of going from zero to female dog in about three seconds.  It's hard for me to break out of the law, because I'm consumed by it.  I find myself identifying less and less with my "non-law" friends...and those lovely other students who attend law school with me are people I'd really rather not be around outside of class.  Television doesn't interest me.  I think I'm slowly becoming "the crazy lady next door who talks to her cats."

;D :D ;D

erstes

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 18, 2006, 01:55:51 PM »
I don't really think it's only 1Ls who are stressed out. I am a 2L and while it's a bit easier by now, there still stress!

Although the amount of work decreases with the passing of time, the stress level remains pretty much the same throughout law school. I'd assume once you are relieved from writing papers after your first year, you stress to get to write for law review or participate in Moot Court during your second year. And if by the third year you're looking so hard for a job and still have not been able to find one, you can figure out for youself ...

During the second year you usually take Evidence which sucks big time! Also, I have heard at some schools you take Con Law -- which is also a pain -- in your second year, so all in all you're not going to be stress-free! Not to mention that you still have to deal with a s s h o l e classmates and professors!

goldenchain

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 17, 2006, 11:12:02 PM »
and law review/mock trial ...

SymphonyOfDreams

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 18, 2006, 02:51:41 PM »
Congratulations, you are now a republican...

Things aint so bad on this side, food's great, beds are warm and guns are cheap. All you have to do is to make your genitals believe you are a democrat, and it will all be fine...

Plus, us conservatives are more intriguing and amazing lovers... hippies are wussies.

crazymofo

• View Profile
I'm not hard! I'm not hard!
« Reply #38 on: May 20, 2006, 12:14:01 AM »
Of course, grades aren't released until mid-June and class rank not until mid-July. Plenty of opportunities ahead for me to sneer at the world. And I've never been known to pass up an opportunity to sneer. Especially at Republicans (my soul remains intact, thank you).

But my snarky remarks are neither here nor there.

Bottom line: the mind-fu...I mean, the wild 1L ride is finally taking the big dirt nap. Let's all take turns with the shovel!

wa

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 25, 2006, 08:45:22 PM »

During the second year you usually take Evidence which sucks big time! Also, I have heard at some schools you take Con Law -- which is also a pain -- in your second year, so all in all you're not going to be stress-free! Not to mention that you still have to deal with a s s h o l e classmates and professors!

You hit the nail on the head!