Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: I'm going back to the Pre-Law Board  (Read 1535 times)

DodgerLaw

• View Profile
I'm going back to the Pre-Law Board
« on: September 15, 2005, 02:55:03 AM »
Maybe the people on this board are here because they never made any friends on the Pre-Law side of this site. Maybe that's because they're late to the party. Maybe they didn't take the application process seriously. Maybe that explains why they're not taking law school seriously either. Maybe that explains the abundance of dumb comments recommending in essence not studying hard in law school.

I haven't spent enough time on this side of the site to figure out what is wrong with y'all (as a group, I'm sure there are plenty of exceptions), but the little amount of time I have spent here has convinced me that it's not worth staying.

Come visit us on the Pre-Law side sometime.

I'm outta here.

lipper

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: I'm going back to the Pre-Law Board
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2005, 08:22:58 AM »
Don't let the door hit you on the a$$ on the way out.
check the footnotes ya'll

wkirby

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2005, 09:47:02 AM »
This must be some kind of joke!  Nobody should be that emotionally invested in a message board. 

Cheers!

celarkobri

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2005, 12:26:50 PM »
I don't know what threads you were reading over here Dodger, but I moved to this side when I started school. I was tired of "what are my chances?" and "what are you wearing right now?" The stuff that I enjoy over here are the review questions about stuff I'm actually trying to learn. I don't know what else is on here because I don't have the time to sit around and read it all.

lawgirl

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2005, 12:45:50 PM »
Wow. I moved over here when I started law school and I've always found everyone to be nice. What happened to you?

Jumboshrimps

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2005, 01:21:51 PM »
Ya know what would be cool? If Y'all talked about law here, since it's finals time. mmmmkay? OK. Here's a start...

A law student, CodgerLaw, has been participating in an online message board for some time. The other participants are slackers and they have no tollerance for gunners. One participant, Slackerlaw, types "Codgerlaw is a communist, terrorist, big-headed, Democrat gunner." This causes Codgerlaw to become severely depressed and he develops an uncontrolable tick as a result. He becomes clinically depressed and needs therapy three times a week. He drops out of law school and becomes a rodeo clown.

1) Discuss whether CodgerLaw's claim of intentional infliction of emotional distress against Slackerlaw will be successful and what damages, if any, he may recover.

2) Assume the above facts, plus Codgerlaw's mother was looking over his shoulder when he read the offensive post. Can she recover?

racheles05

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2005, 01:33:45 PM »
No, he can't recover. The comments aren't outrageous enough and I don't think the thin-skulled plaintiff rule applies to intentional infliction of emotional distress.

giraffe205

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2005, 03:23:14 PM »
Maybe they didn't take the application process seriously. Maybe that explains why they're not taking law school seriously either.

There's a huge disconnect b/w why law students would wish to discuss law student stuff as opposed to prospective ls stuff and how seriously we took the application process. Some ppl on the pre-law board maybe there trying to figure out if they even want to apply to law school. So just b/c they're on the pre-law board doesn't necessarily mean that they are taking it seriously.

Maybe the people on this board are here because they never made any friends on the Pre-Law side of this site. Maybe that's because they're late to the party. 

I actually registered for the pre-law board March 26, 2004. I'm sure it was way before you did. Most of the friends I made have stopped visiting the pre-law board b/c it gets old hearing ppl discuss the fairness of the URM factor or whether they should pick UCLA over GULC. I also second that the "what-are-you-wearing" or "is this the ugliest woman you've ever seen" threads are just retarded. I have plenty of friends whom I could discuss retarded topics w/. I'd rather spend my time helping or conversing w/ others about actual law school stuff.

Maybe that explains the abundance of dumb comments recommending in essence not studying hard in law school.

I don't think anyone is recommending not studying so you'll flunk out. They're just recommending injecting a little down time. I'm sure you've taken a trip to the gym sometime as a stress reliever. Or maybe you've taken in a movie w/ friends had a great time all while not studying. Just b/c you did these activities doesn't mean you haven't studied hard or don't take school seriously. You just needed to do something other than read a case. Those who recommend doing similar activities are just trying to help out those who actually have a hard time doing anything but studying for fear that they'll do terribly.

Secondly, if they are recommending that someone should quit school, it's only b/c in the end they'd probably be much happier. I have always advocated going to law school to everyone who has thought about going to law school. I think it's fantastic. But if someone is saying that they are truly miserable doing the work, they should reconsider staying. They tried it, they know they hate the actual work, and they will only be incurring a huge debt load and eventually feel as if they are an indentured servant. Maybe that's why some of us have recommended that other's quit while they're ahead and try out some of the other career paths that they've thought about.

slacker

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2005, 04:49:07 PM »
1) Discuss whether CodgerLaw's claim of intentional infliction of emotional distress against Slackerlaw will be successful and what damages, if any, he may recover.

2) Assume the above facts, plus Codgerlaw's mother was looking over his shoulder when he read the offensive post. Can she recover?

First, I object to the use of a variant of my name.

For #1 - Possibly depends on the jurisdiction; some require a physical harm for an IIED claim, if IIED is even allowed as a tort. In general, I'd say the level of outrageousness isn't enough.

#2 - way too attenuated. No chance of recovery there.

Related to the OP, though, I find it odd that someone would want back into the land of the pre-admissions students. Yeah, maybe they have more time to talk about more things...probably because they're not in law school. Here, while things might not always be on point, the universe of topics is more germaine to those in school.

Leaf2001br

• Sr. Citizen
  • My two cents.
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Leaf2001br
    • View Profile
    • Isaac Online
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2005, 09:18:39 PM »
I think you're going to have to accept the fact that law students just don't have the free time that pre-law students do.  And probably not the giddy enthusiasm either. My deepest apologies.

The difference between pre-law and law students?

Pre-law students can't wait to talk non-stop about law school.

Law students usually long to talk about anything but law school.  (Unless it's exam time)
"What is Legal?  What is Illegal?  What is 'Barely Legal'?"  - Ali G