Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Studying Time and how to spend it  (Read 4436 times)

BigPimpinBU

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Studying Time and how to spend it
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2005, 02:50:37 PM »
NYLS may not be a T1, (or for that matter a T2) but at least their dean isn't this guy: http://www.nashvilleschooloflaw.net/deansmessage.aspx

lawdaddy

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2005, 06:05:37 PM »
"Sometimes I'm sobered by the fact that my class, and including me I guess, are among the lowest qualified students in American law schools this year."

Don't put yourself down just because you are at a T4 school. 

My daughter had a 3.8/163 and applied to 1 school (on a whim) - Univ. of Texas.  They put her on the wait list.
That tells me she was good enough to get into most, but not all, T1 schools. Certainly any T2 (but then I'm prejudice).

She deciced to apply (30 days late) to another school:
St Mary's (San Antonio).  They acceptted her and offered a full 1 year tuition scholarship.

Now, she could decline and reapply to many schools the next year hoping to get into a T1 or T2.

Her whole decision making process centered on 3 thing:
She wanted to stay in Austin (she was working there).
Her boyfried lives there.
If not UT, what is the next closest law school(any rank).

We did ask around about St Mary's and found it has a pretty good regional repuatation.

She decided to accept their offer because she wanted to be finishing her first year, instead of starting her first year (if she put it off a year) trying to get into a T1.

The moral of the story is: Just because you're at a T4 doesn't mean you're the bottom of the barrel.

SassDiva2000

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2005, 02:26:16 PM »
Oh I totally agree with LawDaddy. People chose to attend law schools for different reasons. I actually know a really intelligent woman who has to attend a T3 because (1) She's a single mom so she has to attend in a part-time program and (2) she shares custody of her son so she has to stay in California. She got an offer from Cornell but had to turn them down--- she just can't move to New York.

eray01

« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2005, 10:53:44 PM »
NO, you all are right. everybody has different circumstances. I on the other hand made my bed and now I must lie in it. I generally made excellent grades, but a dismal freshman year, 16 credits worth of bad foreign language grades all in my senior year and an average LSAT hurt me. I had a 3.8 in my major, and a 3.6 in grad school, but we all know they don't care about grad school.

Esq

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2005, 06:33:55 PM »
It's amazing how a magazine like USNWR shapes (or warps) perceptions.  They didn't even have a USNWR rankings issue until after 1986. In less than 20 years, that magazine has so many people thinking there is a huge difference between a school ranked 48th and a school ranked 64th. People will even disrupt their lives and transfer schools just to chase something that is largely an illusion.

All this rankings nonsense detracts from the real purpose of law school: the study of Law. It's no comfort for the T1 student who fails the bar exam that he graduated from a school that was ranked a whole 10 spots higher than the school of someone else who passed. Students from every tier have to sit for the bar exam if they want to practice law. There aren't any guarantees in law school or in the practice of law.   

I also wouldn't underestimate the other people in your class in the first semester of law school. Until grades come out and the real "rankings" are established, everyone is a threat.

ElizaB

• Sr. Citizen
  • What a sweet face?
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2005, 07:22:07 PM »
To the OP:

Don't let the study habits of others affect you.  If you are "getting" it, that is all that matters!  I am at UT (#15) and there are plenty of people here who spend alot more time at the bar than at the library.  And there are also plenty of people here who not only read and brief every case and outline, but also read almost every supplemental book/material available.  I fall somewhere in between the two.  Just do what works for you.  BTW, I stopped "briefing" all of the cases, too.  I book brief with different colored highlighters and make notes in the margins.  It seems to work for me...at least for now! 
Attending: Texas

sarbinson1

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2005, 03:25:54 PM »
I am also at a Tier 4.

It sounds to me like you're on the right track. I do about the same things you do and I feel like I have a decent grasp on most everything. Wherever I feel like I'm slipping I will focus on that area for a day or two. For example, the last couple days of civ pro have been tough, so I plan on spending the rest of the day looking at each case again very carefully and unpacking it in baby steps.

I agree with what every other poster has said here. As far as T4 v. T1 schools are concerned, we are all learning the same law and will someday have to take the same bar exams and practice amongst each other pretty much as equals. Bradzwest says it all well though. I think the T4's spoonfeed more. They almost teach to the lowest common denominator in the class, but not quite. And, I have to say I've been shocked at the apparent ineptness of some of the other admits at my school. I am amazed that some of them are actually going to be handling people's serious affairs in three short years. We're playing with monopoly money right now, but I wonder what some of them are going to do when we have to start playing with real money. Sometimes I'm sobered by the fact that my class, and including me I guess, are among the lowest qualified students in American law schools this year.

Hammer, I think most T14 students would welcome at least a small dose of spoon-feeding, rather than the hide-the-ball that gets played all the time, to steal the phrase from Planet Law School. 

eray01

« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2005, 06:44:58 PM »
The spoonfeeding can be a perk. I've been a little tough on my fellow classmates lately. I fell for the 1L hubris, and I'm beginning to feel guilty about it. It's a good thing I've kept it to myself at school though. It would suck to make enemies 6 weeks into a three year process. So, I take it all back. That last post I made was harsh. Those people have been pretty nice to me for the last couple of weeks, and I owe them more than that. I'll quote what my property professor said about me. "Pay no attention to anything Mr. [Hammer] says."

sarbinson1

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2005, 10:26:57 PM »
The spoonfeeding can be a perk. I've been a little tough on my fellow classmates lately. I fell for the 1L hubris. I'm beginning to feel guilty about it. It's a good thing I've kept it to myself at school. It would suck to make enemies 6 weeks into a three year process. I take it all back. That last post I made was harsh. Those people have been pretty nice to me for the last couple of weeks, and I owe them more than that. I'll quote what my property professor said about me. "Pay no attention to anything Mr. [Hammer] says."

I have yet to be called on in class... not once!  I'm just hoping to graduate, even if I'm last in the class, and then see if something decent shakes out.  If it doesn't, bury me upside down so the world can kiss my ass.

dft

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2005, 12:10:22 AM »
haha nice

The spoonfeeding can be a perk. I've been a little tough on my fellow classmates lately. I fell for the 1L hubris. I'm beginning to feel guilty about it. It's a good thing I've kept it to myself at school. It would suck to make enemies 6 weeks into a three year process. I take it all back. That last post I made was harsh. Those people have been pretty nice to me for the last couple of weeks, and I owe them more than that. I'll quote what my property professor said about me. "Pay no attention to anything Mr. [Hammer] says."

I have yet to be called on in class... not once!  I'm just hoping to graduate, even if I'm last in the class, and then see if something decent shakes out.  If it doesn't, bury me upside down so the world can kiss my ass.