Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Short citing on a memo  (Read 1326 times)

Trancer

• Sr. Citizen
  • Conan the Republican!!!
    • View Profile
Short citing on a memo
« on: September 12, 2005, 06:06:47 PM »
Quick question, think i already know the answer just want to make sure... After i use my long cite for a case in a memo...
ex: Heiman v. Parrish, 942 P.2d 631 (Kan. 1997)
which short cite do i use... See id. at 633 or Id. at 633 ??
Its not the size of the army that counts, its the fury of the onslaught.
Seton Hall, August 05

squarre

• View Profile
Re: Short citing on a memo
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2005, 08:00:22 PM »
It depends on the situation, but based on what you what you wrote I think it would just be Id. at 633. 

rapunzel

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2005, 08:59:54 PM »
Id. at 633.  Italics are easier, then you don't have to remember to underline the period.  You only get 4 of those ids and then you have to short cite- Heiman, 942 P.2d at 633.

wkirby

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2005, 04:21:09 PM »
Id. at 633.  Italics are easier, then you don't have to remember to underline the period.  You only get 4 of those ids and then you have to short cite- Heiman, 942 P.2d at 633.

Perfect.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2005, 04:26:38 PM »
Italics are definitely easier.  Too by my legal writing class only wants underlining from us this semester.  >:(

_retired_

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2005, 04:46:13 PM »
Quick question, think i already know the answer just want to make sure... After i use my long cite for a case in a memo...
ex: Heiman v. Parrish, 942 P.2d 631 (Kan. 1997)
which short cite do i use... See id. at 633 or Id. at 633 ??

Yeah, only use Id if no cases come in between.  Otherwise you have to give the short cite, which is Heiman, 942 P.2d.  631

Technically, I dont think Id is referred to as a short cite.  I could be wrong but in any case, dont use Id if you are trying to refer back to Heiman with a case in between.  Use the short cite I gave and then Id as you go.

Why is that so frikin hard to describe for me right now?

Trancer

• Sr. Citizen
  • Conan the Republican!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2005, 07:08:42 PM »
One more question for you citing pros... do you have to cite every line??
Ex:

The plaintiff purchased a ring for the defendant. (cite?).  After they broke up the plaintiff requested the ring back. (cite?).
Its not the size of the army that counts, its the fury of the onslaught.
Seton Hall, August 05

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2005, 08:14:23 PM »
No, I'd say after each line is very excessive, and will disrupt your reader more than anything.  That's one of those judgment calls.  I think if you're just using basic fact that are all on the same page in the case, you can group that together, and the reader will still know where to look.

"The ptf purchased a ring for the def.  After they broke up, the ptf requested his ring back.  She told him to go screw himself, and he brought suit.  (cite)"

rapunzel

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2005, 08:44:33 PM »
My assigning attorneys at my summer associateship and my writing prof who was editor of Harvard law review agree- cite everything.  I drop a footnote after every sentence that is not my own analysis citing to a case, statute or the record.

lipper

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2005, 08:45:47 PM »
this being your first memo, im assuming this is your objective memo. I forget specificaly about that one, however i know that on the persuasive and appellate brief, you have to cite every fact either to the deposition or the record. now that i think about it, those later 2 are documenta to be submitted to the court, so this makes sense. the objective memo, only being submitted to the partner of ur firm, you do not have to cite every fact.
check the footnotes ya'll