Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Reading Comprehension, LSAT and getting into Law School  (Read 2005 times)

cmedici

• Sr. Citizen
    • MSN Messenger - camila_de_medici
    • AOL Instant Messenger - c+of+dreams13
    • View Profile
    • Email
Reading Comprehension, LSAT and getting into Law School
« on: September 11, 2005, 05:23:19 PM »
Hey everyone!  Ok...so I don't know what it going on.  I have taken major tests in my life before, I have a good undergrad record, a 135 IQ, I am finishing up testmasters as a prep course for the Oct LSAT, but still I cannot get past the low 150's on my diagnostics.  Worse of all, I get basically all the games right, a lot of the logicak reasoning right, and basically most of the reading comp wrong.  I am not sure what to do.  I tried everything.  Reading fast I can't absorb the info, reading slow I can only read 2 passages, reading the questions first and trying to find it in the passage just sux in general...what should I do?  Is anyone in the same boat?  I am not American and English is not my first language, but I do speak it fluently so I don't know if that has something to do with it.  I am only applying to schools is NYC and Long Island, and those are often hard to get into.  Could I get into NY Law School or St Johns or cardozo with a 153 and a 3.4 GPA?  Or maybe someone can just give me a tip on how to improve the reading comprehension part of my test taking.  Thank you so much!
UMD graduate 05
1st LSAT: Oct 1st 2005

BigPimpinBU

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Reading Comprehension, LSAT and getting into Law School
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2005, 05:30:04 PM »
You have a decent shot at NYLS ans St. Johns, not so much with Cardozo, which last year had an entering class with an avg 165 LSAT. Considering that where you go to law school may be very important with respect to how you spend the rest of your life, (no pressure), you might want to invest in a private tutor. If you do, don't get one from Princeton Review - look at Kaplan or better yet, Testmasters.

In any case,  good luck.

Also, if you are bent on the NYC area and end up being unable to improve your LSAT, look at Pace Law. If you are smart, you can do well there and xfer to Cardozo or Fordham (or perhaps better).

_retired_

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2005, 06:12:19 PM »
This question belongs on the Pre-Law side.  You will find all the resources you need over there.

cmedici

• Sr. Citizen
    • MSN Messenger - camila_de_medici
    • AOL Instant Messenger - c+of+dreams13
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2005, 08:54:37 PM »
Thank you BigPimpin BU!  Yeah, if I don't get into a great law school I will try to transfer later.  I am currently enrolled in a testmasters course, that is why I have taken so many diagnostics, they are the ones that give it out.  My first diagnostic ever was from Kaplan and I got a 173...I don't know if it was bigginer's luck or what, but I followed my instincs and took the course anyways. 

Hey A.J.!  Sorry to overwhelm the law students area with my question.  I did post it in the pre law forum too, but I figured law students know just as well if not better how to address my question.  So it didn't hurt to try!  :D

Well, I hope to improve the reading comp...it's really the only thing I need to improve.

Thanks again!
UMD graduate 05
1st LSAT: Oct 1st 2005

BigPimpinBU

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2005, 10:02:27 PM »
Correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't Testmasters use their own diagnostic tests, instead of real LSATs, and that the real LSATs tend to be much easier? (which helps TM later say "we got your score up xx points.") Try sitting down with a real LSAT, or just a real reading comp section, and see if you do better.

Also, don't worry about "crowding the law student area." 90% of the things posted here are idiotic anyway. :)

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2005, 10:53:58 PM »
No, TM and Powerscore, and likely some of the smaller companies only use real lsats for diagnositics.

I believe you're thinking of Kaplan and Princeton Review here.  They tend to make up their own questions and exams, and try to pass them off as real.

Trancer

• Sr. Citizen
  • Conan the Republican!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2005, 06:05:48 AM »
I got a 147 on my diagnostic and studied like an animal for 2 months straight... i got a 160 on the actual (i bombed the RC because i thought my bladder was gonna pop, stupid 3rd section)
Its not the size of the army that counts, its the fury of the onslaught.
Seton Hall, August 05

TheJesus

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2005, 11:04:44 AM »
No, TM and Powerscore, and likely some of the smaller companies only use real lsats for diagnositics.

I believe you're thinking of Kaplan and Princeton Review here.  They tend to make up their own questions and exams, and try to pass them off as real.

Correction....Kaplan uses ONLY real LSATs for their diagnostics and ONLY real questions in their lesson book. I know because I am currently enrolled in one of their courses...

I've also heard many people say that Kaplan's instructors are generally people who scored in the low 160s, however, the instructor I currenlty have had a perfect score on his test...

I can't speak for the quality of instructors on other parts of the country (I'm in southeast Michigan, Detroit area) nor can I speak to whether or not Kaplan used to use fake LSAT questions...

But a lot of the information that gets peddled regarding Kaplan's course is downright incorrect..

I just wanted to clear that up

dft

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2005, 05:24:13 PM »
judging by the fact that you're hot, i'd say you're a shoe-in at the entire T-14.   ;)

Hey everyone!  Ok...so I don't know what it going on.  I have taken major tests in my life before, I have a good undergrad record, a 135 IQ, I am finishing up testmasters as a prep course for the Oct LSAT, but still I cannot get past the low 150's on my diagnostics.  Worse of all, I get basically all the games right, a lot of the logicak reasoning right, and basically most of the reading comp wrong.  I am not sure what to do.  I tried everything.  Reading fast I can't absorb the info, reading slow I can only read 2 passages, reading the questions first and trying to find it in the passage just sux in general...what should I do?  Is anyone in the same boat?  I am not American and English is not my first language, but I do speak it fluently so I don't know if that has something to do with it.  I am only applying to schools is NYC and Long Island, and those are often hard to get into.  Could I get into NY Law School or St Johns or cardozo with a 153 and a 3.4 GPA?  Or maybe someone can just give me a tip on how to improve the reading comprehension part of my test taking.  Thank you so much!