Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: My professor and an uncomfortable situation...  (Read 7913 times)

joe

• View Profile
Re: My professor and an uncomfortable situation...
« Reply #40 on: September 11, 2005, 11:54:19 PM »
Yeah, people have nothing better to do but sit and make up stories? I'm guessing if she were going to make up a story then she'd make it a little juicer.

Why is this so hard for you people to believe? Where are you from?

I have had a few professors who will call on students 2 classes in a row.  They sometimes do this to make sure a student doesn't relax after getting called on.  They know just like everyone else that sometimes after getting called on a student feels like they don't need to read, just like you probably did, and calling on someone 2 times in a row early on can help stop this.  For this reason I have no sympathy for getting claled on and grilled 2 classes in a row. 

As for the other stuff - if it is true and I tend to believe it is not - you should definitely talk to someone and get it taken care of. 

It very well might be true but the story is over the top in several aspects and on internet message boards this is very often a sign of an embellished or completely made up story.

Trancer

• Sr. Citizen
  • Conan the Republican!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 12, 2005, 06:04:24 AM »
this thread has been HIJACKED...
Its not the size of the army that counts, its the fury of the onslaught.
Seton Hall, August 05

cooley 1L

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 12, 2005, 07:23:47 PM »
I call BS on this

giraffe205

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 12, 2005, 10:52:20 PM »
1. I've been called on twice in the same week. Like the other poster said, professors have different methods to ensure that everyone is prepared. The OP is a classic example of why a professor would call on someone twice--to make sure that they don't relax.

2. Classes may have started, but how long should someone have to wait to get to know their students. Many classes are only one semester long, in which case, students become extremely busy once they get in the full swing of things.

3. "What if" is the question of the week. No one knows whether or not it would have escalated into something more. If we could answer that, then this discussion would not be happening.

4. It doesn't start w/ lunch. It starts at the point where it becomes clear that he wants some sort of relationship to occur b/w the two, and she refuses. So far she has only said that she needs to check her schedule. If anything, this implies "yes, but let me get back to you as when would be a good time." This is not an express "no" or "I can't."

5. B/c "let me check my schedule" implies a yes, he asked her again since she did not get back to him. I don't believe that he was trying to force her into dating him. I'm not advocating that she should be forced to go to lunch w/ him if she doesn't wish to. However, she shouldn't ruin someone's career b/c she is overly sensitive.

6. He doesn't have to say, "Sleep w/ me or you'll get an F." But some sort of implication that a sexual/romantic relationship is desired should be more clear than in the given situation.

As I said before, she shouldn't go to lunch w/ the prof if she doesn't want to, but don't ruin his career over it. Obviously, if this does turn into something more indicative of sexual harrassment, by all means, go to the dean. But from my vantage point, it is a very weak case of sexual harrassment. Which means that more likely than not, the prof did not intend for her to feel that way and was just acting in accord w/ a typical law prof-law student relationship.

1- I would be feeling the same way she is.  You think being called on twice in one week for the entire class period is normal? How so giraffe lady?

2- Since classes just started, don't you think it's odd that a professor is already asking her out to lunch when they haven't even gotten to know each other?

3- What if the lunch date escalated into something more? Also, don't give me this bs about blind grading.  If a professor wants to find out who a student is, he can.

4- It starts with lunch honey.

5- Why did he ask her again after she already said her schedule was busy or something like that? Don't you think it's odd that when she came to his office that he said it would help her situation if they went to lunch? I think that's an odd statement.

6- Um, hello?? Who's going to come out and say that "I want to sleep with you!"

I don't think she's sensitive at all.

Personally, I believe that the she was just a little too sensitive.
1). If you get grilled in class and are unprepared, it's not going to be fun. She's right--it's humiliating. But this is true regardless of gender. He was just doing his job.

2). Every girl has experienced an unfounded belief that some guy likes her when really he does not. It's happened to me, as I'm sure that it has happened to you. Sometimes ppl just misread signs. Especially when you go from undergrad where profs go to great lengths to distance themselves from the students to law school where they treat you as one of them.

3). If her school has blind grading, as I'm 97% sure it does, he knows that she knows that a lunch date has no effect on her grade.

4). A LUNCH DATE!?! If a guy likes you, he will ask you to DINNER, not lunch. Lunch is something that colleagues do.

5). I doubt that the professor would keep pushing someone who has already turned him down. It would appear that they are treading on thin ice and they could then be risking their job. Most sexual harrassment occurs in the grey area. E.g. the lunch was consensual but the sexual advances weren't.

6). If I am reading the OP correctly, the prof has never implied that a sexual relation would occur b/w the two of them. It's not like he is asking her out to eat oysters.

Again, I just think that she is just a little too sensitive and is not accustomed to the change in atmosphere from undergrad to law school. If the prof really wanted to date her, he would have made it clear that he was asking her on a formal date--not lunch.

Quote from: J D link=topic=2724.msg19503#msg19503
date=1126478058
yeah, nice flame

And why, pray tell, are you so convinced that it is a flame, or bull?  You weren't there, and neither was I; we didn't hear the actual words said, didn't perceive the tone of the lunch proposal, weren't there to judge how bad the alleged grilling in class was or whether it had a nasty or retaliatory air about it. 

hitandrun

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 12, 2005, 10:53:08 PM »
I think it's a hypo...

full of shitto...

joe

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 12, 2005, 11:02:40 PM »
Well you failed the hypo :D

I think it's a hypo...

full of shitto...

dontmesswithMP

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 12, 2005, 11:07:39 PM »
Flustered. That really sucks. You're pretty much screwed either way. Here is a "how to deal with sexual harassment" instructional video which gives you the "by the book" solution to your problem, but I don't know how well this kind of well-meaning but impractical ivory-tower advice would work for you.
http://www.funlol.com/content/getting-beat-down.wmv
To view the video, right click on it with your mouse and do "save target as" to save on your computer.

On a positive note, you must incredibly hot if a professor would put his career at risk over you. There is not a single girl in my law school worth that level of risky scheming. That being said, there are girls who could concievably be worth that kind of risk, for some professor. For example, if a girl as hot as oh ... I don't know ... Shannon Elizabeth ... was in our section - I could totally see a nerdy mid-life crisis professor losing his mind over her. He's thinking, "screw all the work I've put into getting here, I need to get in this girl's pants. I'm never going to see a girl this hot again, except on TV or in the movies. It's a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. I might as well try to intimidate her into some sex."

That kind of hotness should take you far in life. If you're that hot you'll probably marry a man who can buy and sell him 100 times.

Any way, tell us how it turns out.

hitandrun

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 12, 2005, 11:08:20 PM »
Well you failed the hypo :D

only because i refused to go out to lunch with my professor!!!

joe

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 12, 2005, 11:12:36 PM »
So where the hell is she? What happened when she went to the dean today?!!

hitandrun

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 12, 2005, 11:16:24 PM »
So where the hell is she? What happened when she went to the dean today?!!

They're having dinner right now... discussing the matter...