Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Baby Bar--  (Read 3343 times)

chaser

• View Profile
    • Email
Baby Bar--
« on: September 08, 2005, 06:43:22 PM »
Okay, I'm taking the Baby Bar on October 25th, and I'm starting to get a little stressed.

I'm doing 100 MBE's a day, and just hoping for the best...
"Civilization is the process of reducing the infinite to the finite."  Oliver Wendell Holmes

VirtualJD

• View Profile
Re: Baby Bar--
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2005, 01:10:04 AM »
You better practice fully writing essay answers, also.  I suggest one a day.

Cutehonesty

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2005, 06:05:47 PM »
What happens when you can't pass the baby bar on the 3rd try?  Do you just repeat your first year?

VirtualJD

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2005, 09:58:14 AM »
What happens to your first year may vary depending on your school.  CalBar says you can't get credit for any second year studies until you pass the Baby Bar.  Number of attemps after 3 doesn't matter, you can take it as oftn as you want until you pass.  Most schools will allow you to start second year right after you finish 1L.  However, you can't be certified as completing 2L until you pass the Baby Bar and then, in some schools if passing the Baby Bar takes four or more attempts, you have to re-take 2L.

Good luck.

cuteprincess

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2005, 12:40:47 PM »
Wow, there are so many rules to muddle through.  When I asked the Dean what would happen if I couldn't pass by the 3rd try, he said, he just looks over my record to see if I should continue the next years courses.  He didn't even answer if I could take the 4th time.  Oh well.

Look at me freaking out when I haven't even taken my 1st baby bar.  I'll take it next year.  I'm only in my 3rd week of law school and I'm already stressing out.

chaser

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2005, 08:11:13 PM »
At NWCU, if you fail on the third try, they let you just go ahead and get your non-Bar JD.

Of course, you have to pass all of the school's tests.

I am sure it varies from school to school, however something tells me most DL schools will be "kind enough" to find a way to keep taking your money...

I would tend to think that most DL schools would be compartmentalized from the bar process.  I mean, for instance, that whether you graduate from Stanford and whether you pass the California bar are two separate things--so why should Baby Bar be different??
"Civilization is the process of reducing the infinite to the finite."  Oliver Wendell Holmes

VirtualJD

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2005, 12:22:19 AM »
If you're only in your 3rd week of 1L, you've got plenty of time.  Your focus should be on learing the law and how to apply it.  If you don't pass your classes, your school can't certify you with CalBar to sit for the FYLSX.  When you get closer, the rules around the test are on the CalBar web site.

Studying the law will most likely be different than any education experience you have to date and the grading is different.  All in all, it's a wild ride; focus on passing your courses.

chaser

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2006, 02:01:57 PM »
One thing the above posting reminded me of--Don't let the school "break your spirit," as far as the Baby Bar goes, is my advice.

Example: DL University gives you a C, a C-minus, and a D-plus.

You PASSED!

Therefore, you are qualified to sit for the Baby Bar.

Some of these DL schools appear to give "deflated" grades to prove to their egos that they are a "real" school, is what I am saying--so if you pass, just say, "Screw 'em!" and do your best on the Baby Bar!

duckasourus

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2006, 04:37:24 PM »
if u cant pass the baby bar then how do u ever expect to pass the real bar, first you didnt get into a real law school, then u didnt pass the baby bar, next you will never pass the real bar