Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: The study habits of others...  (Read 3481 times)

eray01

Re: The study habits of others...
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2005, 08:11:54 PM »
I would really hesitate to criticize other's methods until grades come out.  The person you think is the dumbest or the most behind, or the most naive may get the best grades.

This is true. My problem is there is not enough time in a day to type a nice brief for all of the cases. Plus, I remember some sage advice I read somewhere on this board. At least, I hope it was sage. That advice was not to worry about looking smart in class every day, just worry about the exam because that's all that really counts in the end anyway. Truthfully though, I really don't know sh-t and that is becoming more and more apparent with each passing day I'm in law school.

Oh, here's another thing. None of my professors will let us in the exam with briefs, outlines, notes or anything other than the assigned texts. Given that, it makes more sense for me to book brief everything, and take notes in the margins.

wildcataz2004

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2005, 09:28:30 PM »
That's harsh. What's the point of open book if you can't bring in your notes. In three of my 4 classes, the exams are open book and open note.

Trancer

• Sr. Citizen
  • Conan the Republican!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2005, 09:52:26 PM »
All of my tests are closed book...
Its not the size of the army that counts, its the fury of the onslaught.
Seton Hall, August 05

lipper

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2005, 10:22:41 PM »
wouldn't u rather a closed book? if its openbook then that means your answer has to be that much more on point. i'd much rather a closed book.
check the footnotes ya'll

eray01

« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2005, 12:20:30 AM »
I like the false sense of hope my textbooks provide me.

nonamesleftforme

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2005, 12:48:23 AM »
When a professor says they have an open book exam, I SHUDDER.  Everyone else is thinking "Yippy...I can bring in anything I want."  But what open book really means is that the test is going to be that much harder.  At least, that's my opinion.    :'(

be10dwn

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2005, 08:43:00 AM »
I love what the OP said about THAT GUY who types incessently.  Meet People you meet in Law School #4 The Stenographer

http://ifartedintorts.blogspot.com/2005/08/people-you-meet-in-law-school-4.html

Super annoying.  Why does everyone do this?

The girl that sits next to me is totally this person.  She types every single damn word.  I'm like, do you really think you need to know why he can't go to the football game on Saturday?  ::)

jimmyjohn

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2005, 09:02:33 AM »
I love what the OP said about THAT GUY who types incessently.  Meet People you meet in Law School #4 The Stenographer

http://ifartedintorts.blogspot.com/2005/08/people-you-meet-in-law-school-4.html

Super annoying.  Why does everyone do this?

HAHAHA. That blog is awesome. It's also 100% on the money, especially the observations about 60 yr. old  non-trads and the attractiveness of the girls.

dal79

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2005, 12:32:14 AM »
My contracts prof. requires briefs, and he is going to collect them next week.  He doesn't care how informal they are though, and he just wants to be sure we're doing them because he believes they help.  It's not for a grade and he won't collect them again.  He certainly is no Nazi, in fact he's probably my favorite prof.

So obviously I do them for that class, but as far as the others, I have typed the briefs for most cases but that may change soon.  I have started experimenting with a couple of alternatives that I think I prefer:

I think that when I type briefs I include way too much information and the typing is wasting time.  I have found that when I handwrite the brief in my notebook, It stays extremely concise and yet I feel the key points remain clearly intact.  For my torts class I use yet another speed method.  After reading the case and book-briefing, I read the treatise my prof. wrote on tort law where it relates to the area (the treatise is practically an outline in itself), and I make sure to bring a copies of the canned briefs to class (actually they aren't commercial briefs, they were compiles last year by a 2L friend).

Just some ideas.  I guess only time will tell if I live to regret briefing in this way.  For one thing, outlining probably is easier if you type all your briefs, but I do feel more efficient now and I have more time to spend understanding the cases instead of typing.

Bowers???

Trancer

• Sr. Citizen
  • Conan the Republican!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2005, 06:25:22 AM »
This thread has officially been hijacked.... three cheers for the people who cant concentrate on the substance of a thread   ::)
Its not the size of the army that counts, its the fury of the onslaught.
Seton Hall, August 05