Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Additional materials worth purchasing...  (Read 676 times)

scvalent

• View Profile
    • Email
Additional materials worth purchasing...
« on: September 05, 2005, 04:08:54 PM »
I am wondering whether I should purchase commercial outlines and E&E's for my classes. Where would I find these materials?? Please let me know if you have any recommendations??

squarre

• View Profile
Re: Additional materials worth purchasing...
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2005, 07:07:14 PM »
Purchase  them if you feel like you need them.  It is a completely personal decision.  In many cases they help but some people will buy them and never open them. 

I have bought many of my supplements of of www.barristerbooks.com.  I believe you can also get them off of amazon.com and your school bookstore might have them.

Rowgirl

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3.3/165
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2005, 07:54:25 PM »
I got the E&E's, because my torts prof recommended that one, and I liked it so I bought the rest.  I'd suggest buying one, and seeing what you think.  I got mine all on amazon, for much cheaper than retail
In: BC, Northeastern ($), Quinnipaic ($$), Suffolk ($), Temple ($)
Waitlisted: W&M, W&L
Out: BU
Attending: BC

jimmyjohn

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2005, 08:02:26 PM »
Gilbert's for property.  It's basically an outline but it will help you tremendously to synthesize materials.

Glannon E & E for Civ. Pro.  You WILL need something for Civ. Pro to at least help you keep all the rules straight. 

Not sure what is the best for Torts.  Glannon is pretty good though so it might be a good choice though.

Coregram

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2005, 08:15:46 PM »
Barrister, Barnes and Noble, Amazon all have them online.  Check with your school library as well; they may have copies on reserve.

I'd suggest the E&E's first.  They are written in reasonable plain English in a textbook style.  They give examples as to applications of the rules.  And most important, they are full of sample questions on each topic you can answer and then compare with their answers.

Commercial outlines are just that...a detailed outline in an outline format.  They can be tough to follow as an introduction to a topic.  I found them most useful at the end of a semester to compare with my outline to see if I missed anything.  But I'd try to make your own outline first.