Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Question Re: Reading Casebooks  (Read 1851 times)

jewelbomb

• View Profile
Question Re: Reading Casebooks
« on: September 03, 2005, 01:59:42 PM »
OK, So I find myself spending a great deal of time reading all this stuff in my casebooks other than the actual cases. I can see how reading cases is very important, but how much time does everyone else put into reading all the other stuff? Is it that important that I work through all the hypos, questions, notes and junk? If so, what level of scrutiny do yíall give this stuff? Do you ignore it, give it a cursory glance, or spend a great deal of time trying to absorb everything and working all the hypos in your head? I guess the reason that I ask is because I feel like I may be spending WAY too much time on this stuff, and studying in slow motion. My goal here isnít to lean all this legal minutia, I want to do what will get me grades dammit.
Iíve toyed with the idea of just reading the cases in my casebook with a great deal of care and using Legalines for the bll and supplementary sh*t. Has this worked for anyone?

J D

• Sr. Citizen
  • Lust isn't one of the 7 Deadly Sins for nothing...
    • View Profile
Re: Question Re: Reading Casebooks
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2005, 02:47:43 PM »
It can be quite important.  Definitely don't ignore it, and pay special attention to mentions of similar cases coming before or after that featured variations on the facts of the main cases.  Remember, in our system, the law is built to resolve the facts of the individual cases.  Pay attention to the various fact pattern variations and hypos; see if you can figure out how and why (or maybe even if) changes in the facts lead to changes in the application of the law, to changes in the result.  This stuff is all, without a doubt, useful in preparing for your exams.
"I never think of the future.  It comes soon enough."--Albert Einstein

JD_MSA

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2005, 02:48:36 PM »
Buried casebook hypos + busy/lazy professors = exam questions   :o

Melinda

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2005, 03:09:51 PM »
I have actually been typing brief answers to the hypos in my notes.  Then I have tried to talk to fellow students about what they thought about a particular hypo, and it seems no one else is reading them.  I think it is more important to learn the BLL and apply that to hypos than know every detail of  a fact pattern of a particular case...  Of course I am 3 weeks into my 1L year, so what do I know?

nate

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2005, 03:30:18 PM »
I have actually been typing brief answers to the hypos in my notes.  Then I have tried to talk to fellow students about what they thought about a particular hypo, and it seems no one else is reading them.  I think it is more important to learn the BLL and apply that to hypos than know every detail of  a fact pattern of a particular case...  Of course I am 3 weeks into my 1L year, so what do I know?

melinda,

i've actually been wondering how detailed notes i should be taking on the hypos/notes section after each case. are answers to the hypotheticals all that you put in your notes? i actually tried summarizing the notes section as well as answering the hypotheticals- hoping that this would allow me to avoid going back to the book the particular case again- but it just took way too long, and started feeling almost counterproductive.

or, if anyone else has any good advice on how to best utilize the notes sections in terms of taking notes, answering the questions, etc, it would also be a great help. i don't want to take too many notes, but i don't want to ignore it either. i've already found a method i like for reading and briefing cases, but the supplemental material is really beginning to overwhelm me.
GW

tacojohn

• Sr. Citizen
  • "I voted. P. Diddy told us to vote"
    • ICQ Messenger - 176834534
    • MSN Messenger - tacojohniu@msn.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - TacoJohnIU
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - tacojohniu@yahoo.com
    • View Profile
    • Fearfully Optimistic
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2005, 11:18:32 AM »
It would depend on the professor.  If they like to create hypos or even mention the ones in the book, I would get together with some classmates and work through them.  But some professors do really want to break down the fact situations bit by bit.

Bottom line is if it helps you understand the law, and keeps you from looking like a fool in class, go for it.

eray01

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2005, 02:05:55 PM »
I always just scan the hypos and questions, but that may be more out of guilt than anything. If I'm having a little trouble making sense of things then I'll give them more thought, but I never write anything out. One of my professors, however, uses the questions and hypos for class discussion. I just try to stick to the required materials as much as possible, because I know that's fodder for the exam. The restatements have helped alot in torts.

be10dwn

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2005, 02:45:24 PM »
I make little notes on the side, especially in property because the professor loves to use them.  We spent all day on one of the notes about drilling for oil and whatnot, and I was completely unprepared, hadn't even read the note I don't think.  From that point on I read the notes, even looked up some of the cases on westlaw and read them.

be10dwn

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2005, 09:19:27 PM »
kentucky I'm working hard to raise you karma rep, but it seems I have opposing forces.

eray01

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2005, 01:43:27 AM »
Yeah, I don't know what's up with that? How do you vote for reps anyway? I asked the moderators. They told me about some +\- thing to click on, but I don't see it.

I gave some people some pretty heavy sh-t over on the pre-law side a couple months back. That may be still hanging over my head.