Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: What the hell are schools in New Orleans doing?  (Read 2545 times)

dividedsky

• Sr. Citizen
  • 160 LSAT, 2.73 UGPA
    • View Profile
    • all bisco all the time
Re: What the hell are schools in New Orleans doing?
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2005, 06:47:53 PM »
I know this applies more to undergrads than law students, but...

I was president of my frat at tulane LAST fall (and the spring before), and I guess my phone number must be still on some databases.... Anyway, I (and the current president) have been getting calls from our chapters all across the country.  They've all said the same thing, if anyone is displaced and wants to go to their school, have them get in touch.  They all say that their school is accepting tulane students, at least for visiting semesters, and that our frat will provide free housing (and meal plan in some cases).  Pretty great offer.. good way to make something good out of such a bad situation, and maybe experience a part of the country you've always wanted to.  This is only one fraternity, but I assume other greek organizations will make similar offers. 

And the offer can probably be extended to any law (or other grad) student at tulane or loyola who was in a greek house during undergrad.  (brothers for life, you know)

Trancer

• Sr. Citizen
  • Conan the Republican!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2005, 08:24:50 AM »
Seton Hall Law has made a pledge to accomodate any Tulane and Loyola students that need it.  Waving tuition and everything.
Its not the size of the army that counts, its the fury of the onslaught.
Seton Hall, August 05

BigRedWarEagle

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
GSU is taking in 2Ls and 3Ls
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2005, 09:57:04 AM »
From the Georgia State COL website:

Georgia State College of Law accepting displaced students from Tulane and Loyola

The College of Law at Georgia State Univerisity will be accepting second and third-year law students on a visiting basis who have been impacted by Hurricane Katrina at Tulane University and Loyola University in New Orleans. Eligible students must be in good standing and enrolled for the fall semester at their home institutions. Second-year students will be accepted provisionally subject to direction from Dean Ponoroff at Tulane and Dean Bromberger at Loyola.

Visiting students will only be required to pay a $100 fee to enroll. This offer is for fall semester alone, and is on a space-available basis.

All interested students must schedule an appointment at the Georgia State College of Law immediately in order to be eligible to attend classes starting next week, which will be the third week of class. Appointments should be scheduled by Tuesday, Sept. 6, 2005.

Call Kenee Stephens at 404.651.2044 to set up appointments. In case this voicemail box is full, please e-mail associate deans Anne Emanuel and Roy Sobelson at aemanuel@gsu.edu and rsobelson@gsu.edu.

The College of Law will also work to establish a network of students, alumni, faculty and staff who can assist these students during this transition.

“Our hearts go out to these university families and we join with the many law schools throughout the country in extending whatever assistance we can during such difficult times,” said Georgia State College of Law Interim Dean Steven Kaminshine.

You are not your job.

inthesun

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2005, 11:35:54 AM »
I think almost every school is helping out.  There is a linked website on the other side of the board with a huge list of schools that are on board.  I think it's wonderful that so many schools want to help out.

smugirl

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2005, 02:16:20 PM »
SMU is letting 2nd and 3rd yrs enroll as visiting students for the semester, but I haven't heard what 1Ls are doing.

J D

• Sr. Citizen
  • Lust isn't one of the 7 Deadly Sins for nothing...
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2005, 02:51:30 PM »
I heard yesterday that UF in Gainesville has volunteered to take many of the 1Ls from schools (not sure which ones), because (as it turns out) they had just recently finished building some additions to their facilities and now have some extra space they can donate.  In my school's case, our facilities are quite limited (as most anyone familiar with the school will admit), so we have so far offered to take 25 3Ls (the Dean mentioned that placement of the 2Ls is more complicated for some reason) from Loyola and Tulane.
"I never think of the future.  It comes soon enough."--Albert Einstein

giraffe205

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2005, 06:34:49 PM »
The reason that most schools aren't letting 1Ls in is b/c it isn't such a big deal if they have to wait one year. However, 2Ls and 3Ls have jobs lined up. 3Ls also need a JD to sit for the bar, and they typically have already paid their dues for it by now. 

Leaf2001br

• Sr. Citizen
  • My two cents.
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Leaf2001br
    • View Profile
    • Isaac Online
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2005, 12:00:14 AM »
I am an LSU law student.  I have heard that Loyola will be sharing our school facilities to resume classes for those that are able to continue.  I cannot absolutely confirm this but it's what I have heard from ther students over the "break".
"What is Legal?  What is Illegal?  What is 'Barely Legal'?"  - Ali G

squarre

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2005, 01:32:04 AM »
The reason that most schools aren't letting 1Ls in is b/c it isn't such a big deal if they have to wait one year. However, 2Ls and 3Ls have jobs lined up. 3Ls also need a JD to sit for the bar, and they typically have already paid their dues for it by now. 

Another reason that I have heard for many schools not taking 1Ls is that many schools have 1L classes that are pretty close to capacity.  To accommodate more than just a few students new sections would have to be opened - which could pose difficulty in finding classrooms and faculty.

il Principe

• The Archon of Protocol
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2005, 02:06:18 PM »
Definitely a horrible situation. 
"The most futile and disastrous day seems well spent when it is reviewed through the blue, fragrant smoke of a Havana Cigar" - Evelyn Waugh