Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Getting in to the LLM programme in the States  (Read 1846 times)

junayed

• View Profile
Getting in to the LLM programme in the States
« on: August 30, 2005, 02:54:31 AM »
I am not sure if I am at the right discussion forum to make these queries. I am a Bangladeshi (those who dont know about Bangladesh: Its a tiny little country just beside India) lawyer with little over 2 years work experience in corporate and commercial litigation. I graduated from University of London (external programme) with an honours in LLB (Bachelors of Law) in 2002 and I did the English Bar in London and became an Barrister of the Lincoln's Inn in 2003.

The University of London (external programme) is a distant learning programme. It allows one to stay in his or her home country and study and give examination through the British Council situated in that country. One can also go to England and do the entire course there (Its a 3 years law degree like any other british university). I did mine from Malaysia (2 years)and England (final year). Recently I have gathered that if you have a distant learning LLB degree under your belt, it is impossible to get an LLM from the States. I was qualified to do the English Bar as the Bar Council of England and Wales recognizes University of London (external programme) LLB as a "QLD" (Qualifying Law Degree, that enables one to be eligible to apply to become a Barrister).

I would appreciate if someone can tell me where do I stand under these circumstances. More specifically, am I eligible to apply to and get an LLM from the States?

BayLaw

• View Profile
Re: Getting in to the LLM programme in the States
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2006, 04:06:49 AM »
You can try St. Thomas University.  They are an American Bar Association approved law school that offer an LLM in International Taxation via online.

My understanding is that they will accept potential students with professional experience and a Bachelor's degree in finance/accounting, or law (JD online or resident programs).  Acceptance into the LLM program is decided on an individual situation.

fostdog69

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Getting in to the LLM programme in the States
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2007, 02:55:34 AM »

I hear the Lincoln's Inn merged with the people who own Holiday Inn. Has that had any impact on the quality of your degree? Well at least you get a free continental breakfast and wake up call before you go to work.