Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Today in Contracts  (Read 5843 times)

J D

• Sr. Citizen
  • Lust isn't one of the 7 Deadly Sins for nothing...
    • View Profile
Re: Today in Contracts
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2005, 10:29:37 PM »
So far, everyone called on has been prepared in my K class. It seems like every student understands he/she has to show up prepared.

One should hope...
"I never think of the future.  It comes soon enough."--Albert Einstein

BigTex

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2005, 09:36:42 PM »
So far, everyone called on has been prepared in my K class. It seems like every student understands he/she has to show up prepared.

One should hope...

Today, the K proff called on someone who hadn't prepared, admitted so, and the proff moved on. The prof was cool and didn't humiliate her - he just moved on to somebody else. But there was a definite vibe in the class.

eray01

« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2005, 10:14:27 PM »
I know the vibe you speak of.

It's brutal to watch someone panic and try to answer the question. It's just a matter of time before they're cut down. It's like cutting a man's throat and watching him struggle in futility during the last few seconds of his life just before his soul slips out of him. The inevitable awaits. Submit. Submit. Shhhh. Shhhh.

Mu-ha-ha-ha

Trancer

• Sr. Citizen
  • Conan the Republican!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2005, 05:35:19 AM »
I liken it to be shot in the gut, as the student looks at his brief in disbelief... et tu Civil Procedure?
Its not the size of the army that counts, its the fury of the onslaught.
Seton Hall, August 05

The Master

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2005, 12:00:21 PM »
Sounds like a student in my class last week!

Our contracts professor asked a question to the class.  A student raised his hand to answer.  He answered "Well I guess".  And before he could say anything else the professor stopped him with the following response: "Lawyers do not answer questions with guesses.  If I wanted to hear someone guess I would go out during the winter and offer homeless people a warm classroom to sit in.  I could lecture them about the law and then ask them to guess what they thought the answers were."

lawgirl21

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2005, 12:16:02 PM »
Its painful to watch a prof do that...  But on the other hand, what is the student's excuse for not being prepared...  would you walk into court and say sorry I didn't read the plea bargain the other side offered???  Come on, at some point these people have to act like they are in the real world!
GPA: 3.6
LSAT: 154, then 159

eray01

« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2005, 01:46:51 PM »
Very true. I like your style.

bruin04

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2005, 12:54:06 PM »
My K professor has a reputation for not being forgiving on those unprepared for class; we were told at orientation not to skip his reading, no matter what. So far, no one has been (too) unprepared.

runaroundrachel

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2005, 03:32:47 PM »
Today in my contracts class someone was standing up briefing a case and the professor asked him if he read the case, he said yes, then he said "sit down, did anyone actually read this case?" it was a little scary, thank god it wasnt me!

trouble

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2005, 04:29:17 PM »
Every so often, in K, we'll get pop quizzes (that's right...I said pop quizzes, a la undergrad) that usually consist of 4 short hypos with 4 multiple-choice answers to go with each one.  If you miss more than 1 question, you are counted absent that day.
"What lies behind us and what lies before us are small matters compared to what lies within us."  Ralph Waldo Emerson