Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: New 1L's: Any Harsh Socratic Method Profs?  (Read 3313 times)

hope74usa

• View Profile
Re: New 1L's: Any Harsh Socratic Method Profs?
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2005, 06:29:34 AM »
I have a profesor who authored an article titled "Professor Kingsfield: The Most Misunderstood Character in Literature". I think that says it all.

LMAO. Yes, I think it does.

long ago

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2005, 08:44:58 AM »
I only have one professor who truly cold calls and he basically tells you the answer before he asks the question so if you have been paying attention you will get the answer without too much problem.  He also will call on 2-4 people in the hour.  Other than that none of my guys even cold call which is disappointing, but I guess they don't really need to there is a lot of participation without the cold calling. 

zaphod

• worst dressed sentient being in the galaxy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2005, 11:33:07 AM »
It was just pointed out to me on another board that the Kentucky Hammer may be a rip off of the Texas Hammer. That must be why he changed his name. I get it now. I wasn't aware there were other hammers.

What other message boards do you go to, and are they at least as prolific as this?  And on topic, the only good thing I saw about the socratic method is it guaranteed that I would read.  My one class that was entirely volunteer, I didn't quite get around to reading everything.  But then again, I'm a believer in the theory that it really wouldn't be that hard to teach yourself the law....
Don't Panic

tacojohn

• Sr. Citizen
  • "I voted. P. Diddy told us to vote"
    • ICQ Messenger - 176834534
    • MSN Messenger - tacojohniu@msn.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - TacoJohnIU
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - tacojohniu@yahoo.com
    • View Profile
    • Fearfully Optimistic
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2005, 02:45:33 PM »
I have one professor who's pretty notorious, at least to the point that my 2L peer advisor showed her transcript to a law firm and the partner who was interviewing her goes "Oh, you had Prof. Torts, that's amazing you got through it."  This was at the second biggest law firm in the world too.  But it's not that bad.

jewelbomb

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2005, 04:59:50 PM »

I'm a believer in the theory that it really wouldn't be that hard to teach yourself the law....

Umm...I definitely think that it would be possible to teach yourself the law. It may even work better for some people than going to law school. Still, I think that it’s going a little too far to say that it wouldn’t be hard. 

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2005, 06:48:02 PM »
So absolutely none of my profs are hard core socratic method.  They all cold call, but they never stick with one person through the class, and will often take comments adn answers from anyone with their hand up.

I'm also realived that there are no hardcore gunners in my section yet.  There is one girl that asks particularly dense question though, and I have torts with another section, and several people in that section don't seem like the brightest bulbs...

boy howdy

« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2005, 05:15:52 AM »
Oh c'mon...what a bunch of little weasel panzees.

Socratic, Schlomatic. Anyone that's truly fretting this whole crucible needs some serious remedial training in perspective.

If you've already got a thick skin, socratic drilling is nothing but a sweet summer breeze. If not, a thick skin is what it's designed to give you.

Get over yourselves. Your class rep means nothing compared to just clamping down and learning the material. I couldn't believe how many people got tied up in the class war routine. Everybody is destined to get drilled and humiliated...even yesterday's teacher gold-star winners. It's all part of the exercise. Yes it's intense. But it's also refined...it's not being winged on you.

If you couldn't figure that out, you must be one of those socially awkward smart people for which there is no cure. Have fun taking notes on every syllable spoken by the prof.

eray01

« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2005, 01:38:10 PM »
Nobody's complaining here, and I think we all understand the point of it. We all volunteered for law school (Hell, I practically begged to get in). If you didn't know you'd be subjected to the socratic method, you've been hiding in a cave somewhere. I see great utility in it for a variety of reasons, most all of which have been mentioned here. I just thought it would be fun to compare methods we've seen so far. In fact, I'm disappointed by my profs who don't use the method. Those classes are boring.

KayakAnyone

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2005, 03:13:16 PM »

i dont know whether or sad or just down right funny how much money the "heavy hitter" and his father have.  but then one has to love eastern ky juries that think every one has deep pockets.  he and his dad made a mint with some of their satellite offices in eastern and western ky.  i agree his ads are cheesy but his father's were far worse.

eray01

« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2005, 07:27:44 PM »
Awesome. There's only been one other person on this site that recognized Darryl Isaacs. I remember his dad, but not his commercials. I wasn't in Louisville for my teenage years, and that would've been about when his dad was still running the show over there.

I've been thinking about changing my personality on this site though. Eventually I get tired of the one I have and think of something funnier (to me anyway). Today I was thinking about "Louis Skolnick". I don't know why, but that just seemed funny to me. But, my best idea lately has been "The Head Gunner." I haven't figured out what picture I'd put with that yet, but the signature line would say something like, "If you can't figure out who the class gunner is, it's probably you."