Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: New 1L's: Any Harsh Socratic Method Profs?  (Read 3280 times)

eray01

New 1L's: Any Harsh Socratic Method Profs?
« on: August 29, 2005, 02:27:25 AM »
Okay. I've read all the posts comparing class absence policies and classmates. Let's compare profs. Does anyone have a particularly harsh prof when it comes to the socratic method?

All of my profs at least cold call, but there is one particularly bad one. This guy picks one student and directs all of the questioning at that person for the whole hour. The only exception is when someone raises their hand to answer a question that the hot seat person doesn't know. That "helper" gets thrown into the mix too. I learned that the hard way on the first day when I volunteered the transalation of inter vivos. luckily, there were only 10 minutes left. Now no one is getting help from anyone. The really strange part is he knows little trivia facts about each person he calls on. It's as if he picks one person off his roster before class, reads their admission's file, and then calls on them as soon as he walks in the room. The first day of class he walked in, the room got quiet,  and he stood there and stared at us for about a minute. Then the first words we ever heard out of his mouth were, "Ms. Smith, can you tell me what happened in Teson v. Vasquez. I understand you live in the neighborhood where this dispute occurred." No sh-t. the girl really did live there. And, he just launched right into it. No explanation of the syllabus or anything.

Trancer

• Sr. Citizen
  • Conan the Republican!!!
    • View Profile
Re: New 1L's: Any Harsh Socratic Method Profs?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2005, 06:49:18 AM »
You know all of my professors do that but they dont have an air of elitism.  It seems more like they genuinely want to devote the entire case to that person.  Show them where they can improve and what not.  I actually like the socratic method but then again ive never been in the hot seat so ill get back to you when i go under the wire  :P
Its not the size of the army that counts, its the fury of the onslaught.
Seton Hall, August 05

be10dwn

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2005, 09:11:54 AM »
you know kentucky, you aren't nearly as good as the texas hammer, he is a tough, smart lawyer.

eray01

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2005, 09:52:58 AM »
Whatchoo talkin' 'bout Willis

T. Durden

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2005, 10:05:23 AM »
yeah the socratic method is scary

won't deny it

be10dwn

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2005, 01:16:07 PM »
Whatchoo talkin' 'bout Willis

I thought you were referring to the Texas Hammer JIm Adler.  He is the tough smart lawyer.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2005, 01:23:30 PM »
Not so far, although I've only had civpro and contracts so far (today was my first day of class)

They call on people at random, but will gladly take volunteers if the person is lost or on the wrong track.  They also don't focus on one person the whole time, but will move on after 5-10 minutes.  There's def. a bit a lecture spread out throughout the class when they give solid definitions and explain specific concepts.

It's not nearly as scary/intimidating as I was expecting.  I haven't had torts yet though, so that could change.

eray01

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2005, 08:55:28 PM »
No. The KY Hammer is a personal injury attorney in Louisville that holds the coveted spot on the back of the Yellow Page He spends a million dollars a year on advertising, and he's become kind of a local celebrity. His commercials are so cheaply produced and cheesy, they're hilarious. I think he's picked up on that, and he's purposely making them more cheesy now. Actually, I think these days he's going by the name "Heavy Hitter." That's his picture and slogans. I think he may have pushed the ambulance chasing thing so far, people are actually starting to become fond of him. It's like he pushed through the other side of the blackhole or something.

eray01

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2005, 08:59:23 PM »
It was just pointed out to me on another board that the Kentucky Hammer may be a rip off of the Texas Hammer. That must be why he changed his name. I get it now. I wasn't aware there were other hammers.

fat_daddy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2005, 12:42:26 AM »
I have a profesor who authored an article titled "Professor Kingsfield: The Most Misunderstood Character in Literature". I think that says it all.
Attending: University of the Pacific-McGeorge