Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Army JAG  (Read 4722 times)

bataviaSam

• AOL Instant Messenger - bataviaSam
    • View Profile
Army JAG
« on: August 28, 2005, 07:42:47 PM »
How competitive is Army JAG? What kind of grades/class ranking do you need to be selected?

KayakAnyone

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Army JAG
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2005, 11:23:05 PM »
If you are seriously contemplating JAG--do your own research into the academic and non academic requirements.  Suggested sites:

http://www.goarmy.com/jag/
http://www.jagcnet.army.mil/

there are more, but someone able to serve in JAG should have the ability to find such information on his/her own.

dkast

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2005, 11:27:53 PM »
Don't you have to goto boot camp first or already have been in the army?

KayakAnyone

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2005, 12:52:04 AM »
quote:

Because there are many more applicants to the JAG Corps than openings, the Army is looking for the best and the brightest. In addition to academic requirements, candidates are expected to exhibit the qualities befitting an Officer in service to their country, such as leadership, physical fitness, commitment and professionalism. Among other things, a qualified candidate will:

Be mentally and physically fit
Be of good moral standing and character
Pass security clearance and citizenship requirements
Have graduated from an ABA-approved law school
Have been admitted to the bar of either a federal court or the highest court of any state in the United States or the District of Columbia
Be 34 years of age or younger at the time he or she is commissioned in the JAG Corps
Once selected, applicants who accept a direct commission in the JAG Corps serve a three-year tour of duty. Officers choosing to continue their career in the JAG Corps will find many opportunities for both personal and professional growth.

bataviaSam

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2005, 07:44:01 AM »
Don't be a condescending jackass, Kayak. I already found those links for myself and have printed materials from the Army JAG Corps. However, none of the materials discuss G.P.A. So, I thought someone on this board might have some insight into that aspect.

twarga

• Sr. Citizen
  • Must have cookie! Me like cookie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2005, 08:12:49 AM »
Don't be a condescending jackass, Kayak. I already found those links for myself and have printed materials from the Army JAG Corps. However, none of the materials discuss G.P.A. So, I thought someone on this board might have some insight into that aspect.

Wow, I was this close to answering your question before I saw this response to a very helpful post by Kayak.  Just don't join the Air Force, please.
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=twarga

Attending:  Widener DE $$$
Accepted:  Rutgers-Camden, Villanova, Temple
Rejected:  Penn, Harvard

3.0 (3.82), 166

KayakAnyone

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2005, 08:32:27 AM »
In material I have seen, they clearly discuss selection criteria.  Competitive- Yes, very much so.  Clear cutoff GPA/Percentile- NO. The candidate is judged on multiple factors.  While, success in law school undoubtedly  bolster's an applicant chances other factors are equally important and often offset a lower class rank: commitment to physical fitness (varsity in highschool, intramurals, marathons etc etc, community involvement, experience, INTERVIEW.  Can not stress the last facet enough. Overall, weight is given to the interview--impress the recruiter and you're golden.  Consider applying for the internships and law scholarships, if genuinely interested.  Curious--why Army? 

twarga

• Sr. Citizen
  • Must have cookie! Me like cookie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2005, 01:25:33 PM »
Another key point to consider is how well you treat the support staff at the base where you will be interviewing.  If BataviaSam thinks he's going to go into the SJA's office and berate the secretary (or even give off an air of superiority), he can kiss JAG goodbye.  The military is all about team players and accepting help from any source, not jumping down their throats because you consider their help to be unnecessary.  Be humble.  Be thankful.  Show that you are willing to learn and be taught.

I screened all of the Direct Appointee applications for the JAG office at a base where I worked a few years ago.  I may have been the lowly secretary (paralegal actually, but the applicants don't know the difference), but my opinion of the candidates held considerable weight, since they weren't on their best behavior for me, like they were for my boss.  Everyone who was in contact with any given applicant was questioned for their opinion of him or her, and it swayed the SJA considerably.  I've been a JAG paralegal for 9 years and know what I'm talking about, trust me.
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=twarga

Attending:  Widener DE $$$
Accepted:  Rutgers-Camden, Villanova, Temple
Rejected:  Penn, Harvard

3.0 (3.82), 166

bataviaSam

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2005, 08:30:00 PM »
Kayak and Kitty,

Thanks for the insight and advice. It is very helpful and much appreciated. Kayak, I apologize for the trenchant "condescending jackass" comment. I didn't get much sleep last night due to a flooded basement...

Humility and professionalism aren't problems for me, I have previous worker experience (state legislature), I've done the high school athletics and collegiate intramurals thing, and I typically interview well. So, hopefully I'll have the opportunity to service in the Army JAG Corps should I pursue that route.

Any thoughts on Army vs. Air Force JAG or Navy JAG? I'm drawn to the Army's size and its history, but would love to hear about potential drawbacks.

What can I do as a 1L to prepare (obviously I'm thinking way ahead)? Also, does it matter what law school you're coming from (I'm at a top-40 school)?