Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: This is a strange question...  (Read 1539 times)

2005_2L

• View Profile
This is a strange question...
« on: August 27, 2005, 05:47:48 PM »
... but what is your school's policy about bathroom breaks during class?  This has become a hot topic at my school recently because a few professors have banned bathroom breaks during their classes. 

Duner

• MSN Messenger - jkorduner@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - LSUConnMan
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - jkorduner
    • View Profile
    • Duner's LSU Law Blog
    • Email
Re: This is a strange question...
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2005, 05:59:19 PM »
dude, are you sure your at law school and not high school?

abclaw

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2005, 06:06:34 PM »
Good question, Duner.  However, I had two profs. last year who did not allow this.  One of them publicly humiliated a kid in front of the class and made him sit back down red-faced. 

Melinda

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2005, 06:14:35 PM »
Our classes are either in 1 hour or 2 hour blocks.  I have not seen anyone attempt to take a break in a 1 hour class so I am assuming it is taboo.  The 2 hour classes always give us a 5 minute break halfway through.

Hotel Yorba

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2005, 12:06:38 AM »
my classes are all short as well, honestly you should be able to make it an hour or even two.

eray01

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2005, 12:41:46 AM »
Are you serious. I've seen some professors doing some spoon feeding to some of my dimmer classmates in the last week, but that really is ridiculous. How old do they think you all are. I'd complain to the dean about that crap. If 100 g's worth of debt buys anything, it at least buys some dignity.

hope74usa

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2005, 07:08:58 AM »
If 100 g's worth of debt buys anything, it at least buys some dignity.

One would think . . .

Trancer

• Sr. Citizen
  • Conan the Republican!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2005, 07:42:41 AM »
Some law profs treat law school like boot camp.  So grab your seat and pay attention, maggot!
Its not the size of the army that counts, its the fury of the onslaught.
Seton Hall, August 05

klaw

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2005, 11:21:08 AM »
I can't believe that some professors do this! I mean I can understand if the same person gets up at the same time during class everyday, but an outright ban? If it's not in your law school handbook, (which I doubt) I would say ignore the rule and do as you please. Especially if there is anonymous grading. If the prof has a problem with that, contact the dean of students. There's no excuse for the prof being such an a**hole.

Comm-Law

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2005, 11:46:34 AM »
It all varies by the professor.  Some are very laid-back and don't care if you have to leave during class; others want to show how much "control" they have.  One prof went through a 10 minute diatribe about a certain student that left class to retrieve a book (for HER class).  He had neglected to bring to that book to the FIRST CLASS and went out of the room for 10 minutes to get it.  I think that the most effective professors are those that are careful with their class rules and don't make blanket rules that make the students uncomfortable (i.e. no bathroom breaks ever)  I think a more effective rule would be:  Try to limit those times that you have to leave the room during class and if you believe that you will need to leave often, sit in the back or sides of the room so as not to disturb others. 

- Comm-Law