Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: simple question for lawyers- help appreciated  (Read 2752 times)

LSD25ACID

• View Profile
    • Email
simple question for lawyers- help appreciated
« on: August 27, 2005, 12:59:31 PM »
if i have an arest warrant for failure to appear in new hampshire (misd_a resisting arrest is the charge i would be facing in court) will other states know that there is this warrant out for my arrest if i get pulled over for speeding?

dal79

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: simple question for lawyers- help appreciated
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2005, 02:32:44 PM »
That's not an easy question.  It depends on the state you're in, and how connected they are to the database of other states. All a warrent is an attachment to your wrap sheet. Theoreticly, it should come up, but it's not always the case.

LSD25ACID

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2005, 06:39:42 PM »
what about extradition?

i don't think resisting arrest is a very serious charge, but i'm wondering if it could be serious enough for a state to extradite me if i ever was arrested somewhere else, and they figured out that i had this warrant in new hampshire.

gusrip98

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2005, 08:57:48 PM »
Maybe a better idea would be not to speed, get arrested, or do anything else stupid to end up in jail. 

An even better idea would be to ask a licensed attorney rather than a bunch of law students.
"Never stole a horse from someone I didn't like"

dal79

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2005, 10:40:31 PM »
An even better sugestion would be to go back to New Hamshire, pay your fine, do your community service, and be done with it.  Unless you have some crazy shiet in your past, that charge will only get you a suspended jail sentence + fine/court costs/possibly community service.  Just go man up to it.

hope74usa

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2005, 10:51:52 PM »
Just go man up to it.

If he was man enough to do that, he probably would have shown up for his first court date.

LSD25ACID

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2005, 06:22:57 AM »
>>
An even better idea would be to ask a licensed attorney rather than a bunch of law students.
>>

especially these law students. you guys don't really seem to have much clue what you are talking about, and u jump to conclusions faster than a bunch of undergrads.

i have not missed any court dates as yet, and i hope that i won't have to. i am still waiting to reach an agreement with the prosecutor, but i am asking these questions based on his initial offer to me. my attorney says that i may be able to work out a deal with no jail time.

obviously if it is just probation or a suspended sentence, then i will not miss my court date, since that would not be all that bad even if i have to be on probation for a year.

initially the prosecutor offered 3 months served 9 months suspended for resisting arrest, and 1 year probation at the end of the time served, plus the 9 months would still be hanging over my head for 2 years after the probation was over.

this sentence recommendation is outlandish. i am hopeful that he was just being a prick, but if you can imagine, i only have one other misdemeanor_a conviction, 1 misdemeanor_b conviction, and 0 felonies on my record. i am not going to serve time in jail for resisting arrest with only 2 minor convictions. i mean, maybe i would be forced to eventually, if i got arrested again, but i am not going to submit myself to jail for resisting arrest if i have other options, like missing the court date.

hope74usa

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2005, 06:50:52 AM »
if i have an arest warrant for failure to appear

That's a peculiar charge against someone that hasn't missed a court date yet.

LSD25ACID

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2005, 06:56:54 AM »
note the "if" if i miss my court date for resisting arrest, i will have a warrant out for failure to appear.

i'm trying to figure out what are the chances i would get arrested for this warrant if i was pulled over out of state, and whether or not this warrant would show up out of state.

be10dwn

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2005, 09:10:32 AM »
don't be stupid just take the deal and be done with, though obviously you are the brightest bulb in the shed to get the charges in the first place.