Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: what's up with law school relationships?  (Read 3417 times)

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: what's up with law school relationships?
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2005, 01:30:08 PM »
Are you starting school now, or next year?  If it's next year, then don't think about this now.  Enjoy your time with her.  When it comes time to send your applications out, talk to her, see how she feels.  Obviously don't limit the schools you apply to on where she wants to stay/live/etc.  But until you know that she wants to even try for a long distance relationship or move, you have no idea where either of you stand on the issue.  If she's on the fence, then you need to make your decision for you.  If you decide, together, that you want to make it work, then you have decide what's important, and try to include her in the decision making process.  It won't be easy, but if you both agree that marriage is in your future, you must work through it together.

batdown

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2005, 02:15:47 PM »
i start in 06, im making my apps now. She's getting to be too much for me, all I want is to not hang out with her one night a week. I dont understand what is so bad about that. And now she just acts pissy all the time about everything. I hope she doesnt think that she can monopolize my time like this when I start school!

lincolnsgrandson

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2005, 03:02:55 PM »

As a consolation of some sort, I moved 3 hours away from my girlfriend to go to law school (unintentionally, sort of, but that's a long story) and proposed to her spring break of my first year.  I wouldn't say that law school makes relationship go sour, I think it just weeds out those that aren't very strong.  It takes a strong relationship to live through a month of law school finals.

Absolutely.  Law school is something you do for your family. It's for the person you love, not against.  If you think your SO is getting in the way of your law school career, then your other isn't very significant.

Congratulations on your engagement.  I proposed my first year.  She moved here and we got during my second year.

tacojohn

• Sr. Citizen
  • "I voted. P. Diddy told us to vote"
    • ICQ Messenger - 176834534
    • MSN Messenger - tacojohniu@msn.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - TacoJohnIU
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - tacojohniu@yahoo.com
    • View Profile
    • Fearfully Optimistic
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2005, 04:15:47 PM »
I would say the first month isn't any different than the first month of anything.  Most people are in a new city, with new people, possibly a new culture, and a lot of people are discovering new things about themselves (like, they can do 6 hours of homework a night).  So it's natural to feel a little lost.  Finals are probably when law school itself will challenge the relationship, in a way that's different from other big changes in someone's life.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2005, 06:49:44 PM »
i start in 06, im making my apps now. She's getting to be too much for me, all I want is to not hang out with her one night a week. I dont understand what is so bad about that. And now she just acts pissy all the time about everything. I hope she doesnt think that she can monopolize my time like this when I start school!

Uhh...if you're feeling like this now, why would you even entertain the idea of staying with her through law school? 

black car

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2005, 11:53:16 PM »
Wow.  He did dump me!  Honest to god, I wasn't looking for any kind of sympathy/advice when I made this post.  I was really just commenting on my fellow classmates unenthusiastic opinions re their SOs.
My subconscious really must have been on the money.

Well...good luck to all of you and your relationships.  But I can tell you this much, everyone always told me not to pick my law school based on a boy, but I didn't listen.  Love is blind and I followed my heart, 100% believing we would be together forever and it would be worth it.  Let me repeat: do NOT pick your law school because of a boy.   It's probably too late for lots of you, if you are on the students board.  One/two weeks can change everything.  You never know. 

tacojohn

• Sr. Citizen
  • "I voted. P. Diddy told us to vote"
    • ICQ Messenger - 176834534
    • MSN Messenger - tacojohniu@msn.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - TacoJohnIU
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - tacojohniu@yahoo.com
    • View Profile
    • Fearfully Optimistic
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2005, 11:31:05 AM »
Your first mission now is to find reasons to stay.  Hopefully you made a few friends and got to know enough people that you're not alone now.  Search out things in the law school, the entire university, or the town/city you're in that you like.  If you can't find anything, get your transfer apps ready and start working extra hard.

Hotel Yorba

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2005, 05:09:15 PM »
Black car, I need to know - what schools did you give up and what one are you attending.

black car

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2005, 10:23:14 PM »
sorry..why do you need to know?

let's suffice it to say that I am not complaining about giving up a T14 school to another T14 school.  No, I am at school with a good regional reputation, which means that my opportunities past law school are somewhat limited to the region that I am in right now.  It's not as though my region sucks, but, I probably wouldn't have chosen it without the boy-factor. 
However, I did give up the higher-ranked school for the lower-ranked school.  At least I have a lot less distractions and can really study all night/weekend if I want and maybe make transferring a possibility.