Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: what's up with law school relationships?  (Read 3418 times)

black car

• View Profile
what's up with law school relationships?
« on: August 26, 2005, 09:38:50 PM »
It's come as quite a shock to me to learn of my new classmates opinions regarding significant others.  Predominantly, of the attached law students that I have met, most seem to be on-the-fence regarding their significant others.  It is as though something about starting law school makes them want to break it off, or lessens their confidence in the future of their relationships.  Why is this?

My boyfriend and I are both 1Ls at different law schools within an hour of each other, however I am beginning to feel the same kind of hesitancy from him, even though we were inseparable last week - and for the last 4 years.  What the hell is it about law school that makes relationships go sour, or that makes people want to jump ship???

I feel like I am a freshman in college again and everyone is ditching their highschool boyfriends.  Aren't we old enough and mature enough not to go crazy when we meet a bunch of unattached young people?  What the hell is different about law school than the working world or even undergrad??

Am I alone is this thinking?  Anyone else appalled at the way law school makes people want to break up with SOs?     

emarejay

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: what's up with law school relationships?
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2005, 12:05:47 AM »
He's probably just meeting all of these new chicks and getting interested in all of them. THere's like a 10% chance he will hook up with one of them and a 90% chance that after trying for a month and failing he will come back to you.

jk

zaphod

• worst dressed sentient being in the galaxy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2005, 04:08:41 AM »
It's come as quite a shock to me to learn of my new classmates opinions regarding significant others.  Predominantly, of the attached law students that I have met, most seem to be on-the-fence regarding their significant others.  It is as though something about starting law school makes them want to break it off, or lessens their confidence in the future of their relationships.  Why is this?

My boyfriend and I are both 1Ls at different law schools within an hour of each other, however I am beginning to feel the same kind of hesitancy from him, even though we were inseparable last week - and for the last 4 years.  What the hell is it about law school that makes relationships go sour, or that makes people want to jump ship???

I feel like I am a freshman in college again and everyone is ditching their highschool boyfriends.  Aren't we old enough and mature enough not to go crazy when we meet a bunch of unattached young people?  What the hell is different about law school than the working world or even undergrad??

Am I alone is this thinking?  Anyone else appalled at the way law school makes people want to break up with SOs?     

As a consolation of some sort, I moved 3 hours away from my girlfriend to go to law school (unintentionally, sort of, but that's a long story) and proposed to her spring break of my first year.  I wouldn't say that law school makes relationship go sour, I think it just weeds out those that aren't very strong.  It takes a strong relationship to live through a month of law school finals.
Don't Panic

dft

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2005, 10:41:05 AM »
He's probably just meeting all of these new chicks and getting interested in all of them. THere's like a 10% chance he will hook up with one of them and a 90% chance that after trying for a month and failing he will come back to you.

jk

ha

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2005, 11:24:17 AM »
I second Zaphod on the weeding out theory.

I'm starting 1L, and my fiance proposed to me this past May.  So far, I've met a few other married and/or committed students, and many of them are completely into making their relationships work.  I was especially glad to meet a classmate that in a LD relationship and his gf is starting med school right now.  It was comforting to talk to someone who's just as committed to making their LD relationship work as I am (my fiance isn't moving down to Atlanta till December).

I hope you're just reading too much into your convos with your bf, and that he's really not pulling away.  Give him some time, and just make sure to keep lines of communication very, very open.

Hotel Yorba

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2005, 11:35:55 AM »
I think the key to keeping him would be to try to go see him once a week.  When you do visit, cook him diner, do his laundry, and fulfill his sexual appetite.  Next week when he's out with all the other girls from his school, he'll remember how good he has it with you.

dkast

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2005, 11:37:43 AM »
If you can't figure out a simple matter like the state of your relationship, how are you going to figure out complicated issues that are involved in learning the law.

You seem like a sweet girl, but this conversation should be on a high school board.

zaphod

• worst dressed sentient being in the galaxy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2005, 03:54:51 AM »
"If you can't figure out a simple matter like the state of your relationship, how are you going to figure out complicated issues that are involved in learning the law."

If you are in a position where you can say this with a straight face, apparently you've never had to figure out a "simple matter" like the state of a relationship.  I haven't met a legal issue as complicated as making a relationship work. 
Don't Panic

jewelbomb

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2005, 09:23:05 AM »
If you can't figure out a simple matter like the state of your relationship, how are you going to figure out complicated issues that are involved in learning the law.

You seem like a sweet girl, but this conversation should be on a high school board.

LOL...Damn dude. What a male private part.

dkast

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2005, 11:44:44 AM »
lol, i didnt mean it in a d*ck way. 

Though after re-reading it, i guess its pretty high on the d**k scale.

I was just trying to make a point, just talk to your boyfriend and lay it down on the table to get the real situation that is involved.

Blackcar, if you're a cute punk rock girl i say drop the losser, are you in new york, we can discuss this further listening to some jawbreaker and over a beer.

Can i get a + from whoever gave me the -, -1 sucks. ;)