Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: What do you do if there are no canned briefs keyed to your casebook?  (Read 2671 times)

Mirage1959

• View Profile
    • Email
Any idea???

My Torts book is "Torts: Cases, Problems, and Exercises" 2nd edition, by Martin, Zwier & Weaver.

Help!

BeerandLaw

• View Profile
Re: What do you do if there are no canned briefs keyed to your casebook?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2005, 06:32:33 PM »
err...brief it yourself. You need to learn some time

squarre

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2005, 08:49:32 PM »
You should be fine.  Myself and many others have never used a canned brief and haven't had any trouble.  Also remember that Torts is generally fairly straight forward so you should be able to get the holding, etc. from the case itself.

BigTex

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2005, 09:26:28 PM »
err...brief it yourself. You need to learn some time

they're not mutually exclusive options. I plan to read the case, brief it myself, and then read a canned brief to compare my own against.

desmo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2005, 07:32:14 AM »
Any idea???

My Torts book is "Torts: Cases, Problems, and Exercises" 2nd edition, by Martin, Zwier & Weaver.

Help!

You're a law student - you should be able to figure this one out on your own.  Most of the important cases are briefed in other supps.  Fisher v. Carrousel, Palsgraf v. Long Island, etc. should all be found in any canned briefs.  Next, there are versions that supposedly offer all the briefs (either written or e-based), later cases though will probably be missed.  Then there's always Lexis which offers up the main points.  Lastly, Google the dang case.  Garratt v. Dailey can easily be found, as well as info on Shaw v. Brown, and Fisher.  That should get you through Battery at least.

Melinda

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2005, 10:09:39 PM »
Has anyone tried http://www.ecasebriefs.com/?  I have not resorted to canned briefs yet, but after reading a few especially convoluted cases this weekend I was wishing I had them.  I am going to try to hold out a little longer...

hope74usa

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2005, 06:38:53 AM »
Wow. Is ecasebriefs.com actually digital versions of Gilbert's casebriefs? I can't imagine otherwise since the website actually shows that "Casebriefs" is a trademark. Has anyone compared the two to see if they are basically the same?

lincolnsgrandson

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2005, 08:39:59 AM »
"casebriefs" is either generic, and therefore entitled to no protection, or merely descriptive, and therefore awarded the lowest level of protection.

hope74usa

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2005, 08:57:00 AM »
I understand what you're saying. It doesn't explain, though, why a TM superscript follows "Casebriefs" on the website? To me, that's the title for the canned briefs published by Gilbert.

hidinginmontana

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2005, 11:08:10 PM »
If there are no canned briefs, try the frozen briefs section aisle of your grocery store.  It works with corn and peas.