Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: law school students, I need your infinite wisdom & guidance!!  (Read 1308 times)

porcupine

• View Profile
    • Email
law school students, I need your infinite wisdom & guidance!!
« on: August 25, 2005, 10:01:29 PM »
I need help on a decision.  I am a junior at Penn, and I can choose to apply for submatriculation into Penn's law school so that I begin my senior year as a 1L, and thus graduate with a BA/JD in 6 years rather than 7. 

Does this sound like a good idea?  Obviously it will save money, but can you think of negatives?  I have no real idea of what my chances are of being admitted since I'm assuming these are special circumstances, but my GPA is 3.7+ (expected to rise this year), and on practice LSATs I've gotten a 173, 175, and 179.  I also have good extracurriculars.  If I applied, I'd have to take the LSAT in October, which may or may not be better than taking it later.

Penn is basically my second choice law school; first is Harvard.  What do you guys think?

rapunzel

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: law school students, I need your infinite wisdom & guidance!!
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2005, 10:08:37 PM »
If you can get an LSAT score in that range then you will have plenty of law schools to choose from later.  Have your senior year and give yourself a full range of choices.

porcupine

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2005, 10:23:26 PM »
Any other opinions?  Come on, guys, you're law students.  I know you've got them.

Served

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2005, 10:51:52 PM »
If are majoring in a technical subject or are at Warton, graduate first.  If not, many schools require only 3 years of undergrade work, but a few require an undergrad degree.  If you apply to many schools, you will be disadvantaged by having fewer upper level classes as your peers as far as admission competition goes.
“The best way to lie is to tell part of the truth.”     -Twain
“Religion is the universal obsessional neurosis of humanity.”     - Freud
“When your only tool is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.”     - Maslow

Melinda

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2005, 12:36:22 PM »
If you can get an LSAT score in that range then you will have plenty of law schools to choose from later. Have your senior year and give yourself a full range of choices.

I agree.  If you are concernced with finances you have a good chance of getting offered a decent chunk of money from some good schools.  Also I think you spent 3 years making friends, and you would miss an opportunity to enjoy graduation.  Plus, I got a ton of gifts at graduation, and you don't want to miss that big pay day.

I had to choose b/t going straight into law school out of college or taking a year off.  I took the year off, traveled a lot, worked in a law office, had a prestigious summer internship, and for me I am really glad I didn't rush in to LS.  Good luck, you have 2 good options.

Hotel Yorba

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2005, 11:45:39 AM »
Just finish up at Penn first, then apply to many schools.  One year really isn't long especially considering a 22-23 year old law student is a young one.  With those numbers you'll abound in opportunity and youu'll have more time to make the choice that's right for you.  Maybe after a visit you might like U of M, or NYU might offer you a full ride, just wait it out and apply to most of the T14 schools and a few safeties.

Rowgirl

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3.3/165
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2005, 12:24:21 PM »
My senior year was the best year of my life, and I wouldn't trade it for anything.  You'll be missing out on a lot if you don't go through senior year with your friends
In: BC, Northeastern ($), Quinnipaic ($$), Suffolk ($), Temple ($)
Waitlisted: W&M, W&L
Out: BU
Attending: BC

jessesamuel

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2005, 11:32:35 PM »
I took a meandering route through college from 1995-2004. When I look back on who I was around your age it's like he is a stranger. In the next few years you'll probably learn a lot about yourself and your personal philosophies will start to take firmer shape. I recommend less focus and more experience.

porcupine

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2005, 11:59:59 PM »
You guys have all helped mucho.  There are definitely positives and negatives with going a year early, but I think I am leaning towards finishing all four years of undergrad and applying to a variety of law schools.  I think I'd probably have identity issues if I started Penn law while still technically an undergrad taking college classes as well.  Yikes.