Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: are your classmates snobby a**holes?  (Read 17427 times)

chickenbreast

• View Profile
Re: are your classmates snobby a**holes?
« Reply #90 on: September 19, 2006, 09:45:09 PM »

I just finished my first week as a 1L and the stereotype of bitchy, snobby law students is true. i have the privlege of listening to one girl complain about how her father bought her an audi instead of a BMW. i am fortunate, however to be near such godlike geniuses. another classmate of mine is "not at all" concerned about a 4 hour comprehensive final for one of our courses. he is "very well prepared". another girl rudely yelled at a professor b/c he chose her to explain a case in our reading. she said "im not answering any questions today and if you continue, i will walk out of the class!". it is difficult and saddening to think that these people will be in a very important position of power, if they graduate. then there are the cliques. it took only one week for the high school-like cliques to form. i am really enjoying the academic aspect of LS, but am disgusted about the social aspects. is anyone else feeling this way?

Amen Roni!
De justice je m'en charge!

RoniDeutch

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #91 on: April 12, 2007, 01:08:42 AM »
Thank to all of you who appreciate this thread. As a second year student, things have not changed. Everyone is as vicious and arrogant as they were on the first day. Now they have reason to be vicious, as most of them aren't getting any jobs! I wonder how my good friend Jacy is doing?

torturedbylawschool

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 10, 2007, 11:15:05 PM »
My classmates suck too. I hated high school, loved undergrad, and hate law school. A lawyer I interviewed with mentioned the similarity b/w law school and high school--prior to that point, I had thought I was the only one who noticed the striking resemblance......

brewha

• Sr. Citizen
  • I drank much of this after the Bar Exam....
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #93 on: May 11, 2007, 12:05:45 AM »
Thank to all of you who appreciate this thread. As a second year student, things have not changed. Everyone is as vicious and arrogant as they were on the first day. Now they have reason to be vicious, as most of them aren't getting any jobs! I wonder how my good friend Jacy is doing?

Sucks to be at your school.  Everyone in our old section is pretty close (obviously there are exceptions) and we often hang out as a section on the weekends at local watering holes. 

And no matter who the person might be, it't not cool to put down law students that aren't having any luck finding jobs.  That's got to be an extremely upsetting feeling; a situation which you just may find yourself in one day.
pudding is delightful

eli250

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 11, 2007, 02:58:24 PM »
My classmates at UGA Law have been great.  Its the football crowd that takes over Athens in the fall that I'm not so sure about (cue dueling banjos).

loki13

• Sr. Citizen
  • Exterminate all rational thought.
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: May 11, 2007, 08:23:00 PM »
I've been too busy driving to the law school in Daddy's Beemer to rip out the pages in the library study guides to notice anything at my school.... wait, I have classmates? Are they the people whose outlines I stole last semester? Dang... I wouldn't hang out with those losers... I heard some of them needed scholarships just to afford law school... *shudder*

pistolpete23

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 12, 2007, 06:45:54 PM »

It's really been hit or miss in my experiences. I easily get along with almost everyone in my Section. But, at the same time, I can sense the fact that many of them are just trying to make a "good appearance" with their fake, superficial smiles.  I guess after having conditional reasoning and opportunism beaten into your head, by virtue of this profession, you start to lose touch with how to meaningfully interact with other people. I hate to generalize but many of these stereotypes that you guys speak of, have also manifested themselves in my experiences.

From what I've found, law school brings out both the best and the worst in people.

In retrospect, it has been the best of the times and the worst of the times.

pistolpete23

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: May 12, 2007, 06:52:23 PM »

I forgot to mention that many of my classmates seem to think that law school is the end all, be all. It's as if every other trade or profession becomes meaningless in light of their attending law school.  Don't get me wrong.  It's good to  have a sense of pride about your career and chosen profession.  But at the same time, don't glorify law school as to the point of making every other profession absolutely meaningless.

I also hate how people trash someone who decides to enter into a different career. 

Maybe it's just me.

Sir Daniel Plum

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #98 on: May 12, 2007, 10:15:31 PM »
I for one think Roni is the snob.

My daddy bought me a Lexus instead of a BMW, and unless you have lived through the shame then you shouldn't talk!  It's so painful to know you deserve a BMW and then your parents get you a stupid Lexus.  What am I going to do with a Lexus?  Should I start hanging out with the kids that buy their clothes at the mall?  I can barely show my face around my friends now!  Go to hell Roni, and take your snobbery with you!!  You'll never know our pain!!!

Fordham - Who knew living in NYC would be this expensive???

Runner-up

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - NShawcross
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: May 14, 2007, 09:32:55 PM »
There's some class warfare at my school. Students here will get snippy if you talk about how much money you plan on making after graduation. Very sensitive subject. LOL