Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: are your classmates snobby a**holes?  (Read 17362 times)

RoniDeutch

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: are your classmates snobby a**holes?
« Reply #30 on: August 31, 2005, 11:33:19 AM »
my aggaravation has nothing to do with "talking like a lawyer on your first day of law school". the people who think they are johnny cochran incarnated are annoying too. if i worked at mcdonalds and people talked that way, it would annoy me. even as an undergraduate in a social situation..it is STILL annoying. the overuse of LIKES is just CONCENTRATED in law school, for whatever reason. it is worse than my undergraduate school. it is an ignorant and irritating way of communicated, irregardless of its location.

tacojohn

• Sr. Citizen
  • "I voted. P. Diddy told us to vote"
    • ICQ Messenger - 176834534
    • MSN Messenger - tacojohniu@msn.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - TacoJohnIU
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - tacojohniu@yahoo.com
    • View Profile
    • Fearfully Optimistic
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: August 31, 2005, 11:37:10 AM »
I understand you're preaching moderation, but saying you hate the people who believe they are a high-powered defense attorny already, and then calling the overuse of "like" ignorant comes off as the pot calling the kettle black.  If your point is just that it's a pet peeve, that's understandable but at the same time there's nothing you can do about it.

eray01

« Reply #32 on: August 31, 2005, 01:29:23 PM »
I don't think you have to become stilted or act like a lawyer, or whatever you want to call it just because you're in law school now. I just think that if you're going to be entering a profession where success is predicated upon being articulate in how you communicate, the time you spend in training (i.e. law school) is a good time to be working out those little kinks in your speech. I don't really use like, but I do say "you know" alot. That's my kink to work out. I think it's a stutter in my thought process that I fill with "you know". Some people fill their stutter with "like". Others fill it with "um". Sometimes, in class, I count peoples' likes and it gets ridiculous when I'm counting 25 or 30 of them in someones question or comment.

It's not about acting like a lawyer all the time. It's about knowing the difference and when to turn it on and off.

cascagrossa

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 31, 2005, 02:15:29 PM »
my aggaravation has nothing to do with "talking like a lawyer on your first day of law school". the people who think they are johnny cochran incarnated are annoying too. if i worked at mcdonalds and people talked that way, it would annoy me. even as an undergraduate in a social situation..it is STILL annoying. the overuse of LIKES is just CONCENTRATED in law school, for whatever reason. it is worse than my undergraduate school. it is an ignorant and irritating way of communicated, irregardless of its location.

well, irregardless of what you think about proper speaking, you minus well just ignore the "likes" instead of getting aggaravated.  i know i sure as hell have better things to worry about and could care less if someone says "like" in class.

tacojohn

• Sr. Citizen
  • "I voted. P. Diddy told us to vote"
    • ICQ Messenger - 176834534
    • MSN Messenger - tacojohniu@msn.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - TacoJohnIU
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - tacojohniu@yahoo.com
    • View Profile
    • Fearfully Optimistic
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: August 31, 2005, 02:33:33 PM »
I don't think you have to become stilted or act like a lawyer, or whatever you want to call it just because you're in law school now. I just think that if you're going to be entering a profession where success is predicated upon being articulate in how you communicate, the time you spend in training (i.e. law school) is a good time to be working out those little kinks in your speech. I don't really use like, but I do say "you know" alot. That's my kink to work out. I think it's a stutter in my thought process that I fill with "you know". Some people fill their stutter with "like". Others fill it with "um". Sometimes, in class, I count peoples' likes and it gets ridiculous when I'm counting 25 or 30 of them in someones question or comment.

It's not about acting like a lawyer all the time. It's about knowing the difference and when to turn it on and off.
My point exactly, so don't expect people to not have these kinks, or immature behaviors, or any other "holdovers" from high school and undergrad.

RoniDeutch

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: August 31, 2005, 03:44:49 PM »
ok, ok..lets calm down now. im just stating an opinion...one of the functions of a message board. im not obessessed with people saying like..im not forming an "anti LIKE" student association. im just making an observation and offering an opinion. as far as "hating" overzealous lawyer wannabes...please show me where i said that. i never used the word hate...thats a strong word. i agree with hammer that this is a profession where being articulate is crucial. could a 3' tall, 40lb. midget be a cop? no...its a profession where physical strength and stamina are important. perhaps its a strong example, but it illustrates my point. lets all be nice and unite against the people who overuse LIKE. :-)

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 31, 2005, 05:31:09 PM »
well, irregardless regardless of what you think about proper speaking, you minus might as well just ignore the "likes" instead of getting aggaravated.  i know i sure as hell have better things to worry about and could couldn't care less if someone says "like" in class.

I hope you did these on purpose, casca!   :D :P

cascagrossa

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 31, 2005, 05:38:40 PM »
lol jacy, look at the original post by ronniedeutch that i quoted.

btw, you missed one:  "aggaravation" ??

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 31, 2005, 08:27:04 PM »
I actually did catch that one, but I thought there was a decent possiblity of that being a legit typo, so I left it out. :)

RoniDeutch

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: August 31, 2005, 09:14:15 PM »
excuse my lack of perfection...i was typing rapidly. i dooo nowe how too spel.