Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: are your classmates snobby a**holes?  (Read 17018 times)

joe

• View Profile
Re: are your classmates snobby a**holes?
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2005, 10:07:20 AM »
Bitchy and ugly from what I heard on the other side of the forum.

Oh and fat.

Gotta love BitchyJacy  :D

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2005, 10:51:10 AM »
Bitchy and ugly from what I heard on the other side of the forum.

Oh and fat.

Gotta love BitchyJacy  :D

Oh, I'm sorry, was that supposed to be an insult?  I didn't realize we were back in middle school.   ::)

dkast

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2005, 11:43:15 AM »
I would like to sum this all up with two simple words.

"Who Cares"

I really don't care if my classmates are snobs..

You really shouldn;t be concernced with their attitudes, the words they use to comment on the flowers, etc.

In the end, as self-centered as this sounds, its all about you.

I guess my real question is…why aren’t there any cute punk girls at my law school?

Oh well.

lol, cute punk girls rule; however, you're not going to find them in law school, try art school.

I have the same preference when it comes to girls, cute short haired punk rock girls, the ones that walk the fine line between poser and legit.  The reason being that if you get a too legit punk rock girl she's not going to take care of herself as much and may demish the cute aspect of her character.

Its a similar "line" that is evidenced in International Shoe v Washington.  What line exists between specific jurisdiciton, i.e., jurisdiction in which remedy may be given when the contact of the plaintiff is realated to the cause of action, vs general jurisdiction when contact of the plaintiff within the state is continuous and to such an extent that they can be servered for any cause of action within the state even those unrelated to there conduct within the state.

the Shoe line vs the poser / legit cut punk rock girl line?

If i get into law review i'll submit this paper.

RoniDeutch

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2005, 12:42:39 PM »
Kentucky Hammer"

Then there's the girls who use "like" between every word in a sentence.

you nailed this point! i forgot to LIKE mention that. I LIKE totally forgot it! Yes, your honor, I would LIKE to say that my LIKE client is LIKE TOTALLY innocent. LIKE, he TOTALLY did not LIKE commit that crime.

I thought this colloquial way of speaking ended in 8th grade. I think there is something in the water. I am ashamed to admit that I have caught myself doing this a few times b/c i hear it so much. I am now hypervigilant about the work LIKE and will use it as it is intended to be used...ie..I dont LIKE those girls. 

jewelbomb

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2005, 12:58:58 PM »

Its a similar "line" that is evidenced in International Shoe v Washington.  What line exists between specific jurisdiciton, i.e., jurisdiction in which remedy may be given when the contact of the plaintiff is realated to the cause of action, vs general jurisdiction when contact of the plaintiff within the state is continuous and to such an extent that they can be servered for any cause of action within the state even those unrelated to there conduct within the state.

the Shoe line vs the poser / legit cut punk rock girl line?

If i get into law review i'll submit this paper.

brilliant.

tacojohn

• Sr. Citizen
  • "I voted. P. Diddy told us to vote"
    • ICQ Messenger - 176834534
    • MSN Messenger - tacojohniu@msn.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - TacoJohnIU
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - tacojohniu@yahoo.com
    • View Profile
    • Fearfully Optimistic
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2005, 07:54:01 PM »
Ok, it's one thing to talk like that in the halls, at the bar, on the phone, but another to talk like that in class and in courts.  If they're talking like that in class, by all means shred 'em, but if they talk like that in normal everyday conversation, it's fine.  Don't let the "you are a professional, you must be a prefect lawyer this instant" speil let you forget that law students are still just students.

S|

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2005, 09:26:32 PM »

And, I am one of the ones who finds this easy so far. But I expect that to change on a dime, and I fear that's an indication I could be missing something. Lack of feedback by grades and comments is a b-tch.

I've been thinking the same thing. Everyone's complaining about the workload, but it seems managable so far. Perhaps it gets tougher as the writing assignment picks up. Who knows.

eray01

« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2005, 09:31:33 PM »
Oh, the "likes" are in the classroom too.

I've been feeling the same way about the workload, but I'm starting to realize the knowledge is somewhat cumulative so I'm having exam anxiety in only the second week. I just hope subsequent knowledge serves to buttress prior knowledge in these classes.

RoniDeutch

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2005, 10:11:56 AM »
The LIKES are in the classroom and are used in socratic method exercises. the epidemic is also spreading to guys in the classroom, as well. my roommate said she has been using LIKE more often b.c a girl that sits next to her says it constantly and it is rubbing off on her. i told her i will buy a cattle prod and stick her everytime she says LIKE. she admits that it is annoying sounding, but she said she does it without realizing it. you think these people would realize how stupid they sound.

tacojohn

• Sr. Citizen
  • "I voted. P. Diddy told us to vote"
    • ICQ Messenger - 176834534
    • MSN Messenger - tacojohniu@msn.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - TacoJohnIU
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - tacojohniu@yahoo.com
    • View Profile
    • Fearfully Optimistic
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: August 31, 2005, 11:27:44 AM »
That's her point.  She doesn't realize it.  Like I said before, I hate this theory that the second you step into a law school, you are obligated to in no way resemble the 22-25 year old that a big chunk (maybe a majority) of law students are, and you instantly have to act like a 35 year-old lawyer.  Even in the classroom, she shouldn't do it, but it's hard to blame her when professors in undergrad allowed it, to the point where it got so ingrained in her vocab that she doesn't notice it.  Speaking in a classroom setting, especially in a large classroom setting, is foreign to a lot of people.  It's not unreasonable to expect them to revert to some comfort zone, in this care very colloquial language.

And besides, I have a professor who if you start talking in unneccessary jargon, i.e. you sound like a judge, you're going to get blasted.  Eventually, the "likes" will get on a professor's nerves, and he or she will beat it out of her with a long and very painful stating of a case.