Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: are your classmates snobby a**holes?  (Read 17250 times)

buggy

• View Profile
Re: are your classmates snobby a**holes?
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2005, 07:52:22 PM »
I will admit to my classmates being snobby a-holes as well.  What kills me is when people assume they already have all the skills needed to be a lawyer...and instead of being in a classroom, we are all advesaries preparing to face the judge.  I cannot stand someone who is so full of themselves they can't muster a simple 'Hey howzit goin?' instead the attitude is more like (insert british accent): "Good morning, don't you find the flowers outside to be sublime?"

Get over yourselves!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Served

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2005, 08:33:41 PM »
It's ironic that the real presumptuousness of students in law school comes not from those who are upholding a guise of sophistication but those who presume they are not in an academic institution.
“The best way to lie is to tell part of the truth.”     -Twain
“Religion is the universal obsessional neurosis of humanity.”     - Freud
“When your only tool is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.”     - Maslow

dkast

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2005, 11:24:33 AM »
I would like to sum this all up with two simple words.

"Who Cares"

I really don't care if my classmates are snobs..

You really shouldn;t be concernced with their attitudes, the words they use to comment on the flowers, etc.

In the end, as self-centered as this sounds, its all about you.

jewelbomb

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2005, 07:57:33 PM »
I would like to sum this all up with two simple words.

"Who Cares"

I really don't care if my classmates are snobs..

You really shouldn;t be concernced with their attitudes, the words they use to comment on the flowers, etc.

In the end, as self-centered as this sounds, its all about you.

While I agree to some extent that you shouldn’t care too much about your fellow students, it is easier said than done. I mean there is something to be said for camaraderie. My section (and school for that matter) seems to be made up strictly of the type of people that got me down in undergrad. Except now there are more of them, and only one of me.

I was aware that law students tended towards conservatism, but this is ridiculous. I figured that there would at least be a few kindred spirits for me interact with. No, sorry. Just a bunch of lame-ass squares. Whatever. In the end the education is the only thing that matters, but it would be nice if there were at least a few people to connect with.

I guess my real question is…why aren’t there any cute punk girls at my law school?

Oh well.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2005, 08:56:44 PM »
If you're not finding at least 1 person to hang out with and get along with, perhaps you're the one who's snotty and judgmental.  Ever think of that?

_retired_

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2005, 09:24:22 PM »
Gotta love BitchyJacy  :D

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2005, 09:35:16 PM »
 :D
Hey, I'm just pointing out that if you can't find at least 1 friendly face in your entire law school, the problem's likely with you, and not with everyone else!

_retired_

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2005, 09:39:45 PM »
I think you're probably right.  Although, Im a total prick and I've managed to make about a dozen pretty good friends so far.  Go figure.  ;)

eray01

« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2005, 12:58:27 AM »
Everyone's pretty cool and helpful at my school. The only thing that surprises me is how apparently stupid some of them are though. In their defense though, most of us are scared enough at this point that alot of overthinking is going on. Then there's the girls who use "like" between every word in a sentence. There's really not much of an excuse for that at this level of the academic pecking order. I'm blown away by the prospect that some of these girls will be representing people in serious matters in just a few short years, and they express themselves like valley girls.

Hey Judge. Listen, Like I think you should like find for my client, because he's like a really nice guy. And, like if you don't, that would be like really rude.

I can't believe the professors aren't busting people down for that sh-t.

But, I should note that for every one that appears dumb, there are at least two that appear to be articulate and intelligent.

And, I am one of the ones who finds this easy so far. But I expect that to change on a dime, and I fear that's an indication I could be missing something. Lack of feedback by grades and comments is a b-tch.

jewelbomb

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2005, 09:19:21 AM »
If you're not finding at least 1 person to hang out with and get along with, perhaps you're the one who's snotty and judgmental.  Ever think of that?

Yes, I have thought of that. I can be totally snotty and judgmental sometimes. I’m sure most people can. But I have, like…friends outside of law school. It’s not like I’m a social retard or anything. It’s also not like I don’t talk to people in my classes. There are some OK people, just no one I can see myself really hanging out with on the weekends or anything. I was just speaking to the fact that law school, or at least my school, seems to attract a certain type of person. I don’t necessarily tend to like that type of person. It worries me a bit because these are the people I will have to practice with for a least a good chunk of my life.