Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Grading Curve - Grading CAP  (Read 1465 times)

steve23ucsb

• View Profile
Grading Curve - Grading CAP
« on: August 25, 2005, 01:02:10 PM »
At our school, the average grade in any class for a 1L cannot be over 2.5.  It is a little higher for 2Ls and 3Ls.  Does anyone else have something like that at their school?   

birddog

• View Profile
Re: Grading Curve - Grading CAP
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2005, 06:30:49 PM »
As far as I know all schools have a forced median or mean - some higher than others. 

emarejay

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2005, 10:42:18 PM »
Toledo doesn't. Or at least everyone I have talked to has told me that including the profs.

lincolnsgrandson

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2005, 08:22:22 AM »
Every law school needs to have a strict curve, especially for the first year.  At my school, professors are given instructions on how to distribute the grades for their class.  If it doesn't meet the rules, the registrar hands them back and tells them to get it right.  My first year, our property professor didn't submit grades until about 10 weeks after the final, and it is believed by most (including myself) that it was because he was trouble fitting the grades within the curve.

Your school curves very low for law school.  At higher level schools, the curves are generally higher.  A few years ago, my school responded to pressure and inflated its curve.  My first year at Fordham, the mean was 3.21.  But it's all relative.  No matter how your school curves, employers want to know where you stand among the rest.