Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: HELP! Part-timer needs advice on time management  (Read 535 times)

Mirage1959

• View Profile
    • Email
HELP! Part-timer needs advice on time management
« on: August 25, 2005, 08:01:56 AM »
During orientation this week, the school announced that the PT program was being expanded from 3 nights/week to 4. I'm looking for advice from students who have been in my situation.

My concern? With the reduced time to study, how can I read all cases, brief them, condense notes, build outline???????

Here is my schedule:

M-F: Work full-time, 7:30am-5:30pm
M-TH: Class 6:30pm-9:30pm

Leaves me with only Friday evening & the weeknds free. By the way, I'm also married with 2 kids.

HELP!! What to do!!!

buggy

• View Profile
Re: HELP! Part-timer needs advice on time management
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2005, 11:45:14 AM »
I feel your pain.  The harsh reality is that the best idea for you is to put aside Friday night for quality time with family, and then devote weekends to studying.  You can still at least have dinner together on Saturday and Sunday.  While you are missing your family, keep telling yourself the semester is over in a few months...and start planning vacation time during the holiday b/w semesters to make up for lost time.

Good luck. 

ChemDr

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: HELP! Part-timer needs advice on time management
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2005, 01:26:09 PM »
Mirage:
I am in your shoes and a 1L as well. I have classes 4 day/wk as well and work 8-5 (lunch at desk) and my school is 1 hr drive from work. I study for 2 hrs on fridays. Sat and sun, I start around 9 and take a half hr break at 1 pm for lunch and continue till 7pm. That's 9 hours of solid contact time a day. I have a 7 month old and believe it or not, my spouse eats her breakfast , packs for the day and goes out either to the mall, to the park, on a drive, for a walk or to run errands only to return late afternoon. No, I did not tell my family to adjust, they just did. It gives me a quite house to study. I am prepared to go to the local library to study if it gets loud in the house. After 7 pm it's our family time when I cook, play with my baby, my spouse even calls our friends over for dinner!

During orientation they said that PT students have to be super human. At the end of the day (10 pm) when I get home I feel I am a dead horse, no energy for the next day and then my daughter wakes us up some nights. It's a tough world, but you'll get used to it. For me, what gets me going is a very supportive family and a supportive boss at work.

I say count your blessings and do your best. Atleast that's what I intend to do.
Good luck.