Law School Discussion

Re: lexis/westlaw - who pays for it?
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2005, 01:16:47 PM »
Our Westlaw rep said they caught some guy trying to print the entire S.W. reporter so he wouldn't have to pay for it when he got out.

LOL. Funniest thing ever. Seriously, thinking of someone actually trying to do that…People are so damn hilarious.

But, now that I think about it, is there any reason one wouldn’t be allowed to do something like this? How did they catch the guy? Did they try to stop him? Are there Westlaw reps that monitor how I use their services? If so, that’s kinda Creepy.

« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2005, 01:43:44 PM »
Our Westlaw rep said they caught some guy trying to print the entire S.W. reporter so he wouldn't have to pay for it when he got out.

LOL. Funniest thing ever. Seriously, thinking of someone actually trying to do that…People are so d**mn hilarious.

But, now that I think about it, is there any reason one wouldn’t be allowed to do something like this? How did they catch the guy? Did they try to stop him? Are there Westlaw reps that monitor how I use their services? If so, that’s kinda Creepy.

probably the library noticed how much printing he was doing, but maybe not since at our school, lexis and westlaw have their own printers, unless you email it to yourself and print it out that way.

twarga

• Must have cookie! Me like cookie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2005, 03:01:28 PM »
The AF uses Lexis for legal research, and we've (paralegals) been told to use it sparingly, like they'd KNOW if we were abusing it.  OK, big brother!

eray01

« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2005, 05:48:30 PM »
The rep said they can monitor from their servers everything you print on the dedicated printers, and if you print out unusually large amounts it puts up a flag.

I did something sort of like that in undergrad. I printed out over a thousand pages of journal articles because I didn't feel like sitting in the library researching and reading  all that stuff on a computer screen. I printed Any article that looked even remotely related to what I was looking for. They were pissed, but printing was free at my school, so I told them to bite me. The worst part is I only read maybe twenty percent.

« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2005, 05:35:46 AM »
The rep said they can monitor from their servers everything you print on the dedicated printers, and if you print out unusually large amounts it puts up a flag.

I did something sort of like that in undergrad. I printed out over a thousand pages of journal articles because I didn't feel like sitting in the library researching and reading  all that stuff on a computer screen. I printed Any article that looked even remotely related to what I was looking for. They were pissed, but printing was free at my school, so I told them to bite me. The worst part is I only read maybe twenty percent.

Think of the trees man, THE TREES!  ;)

eray01

« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2005, 06:35:09 PM »
I know. It's terrible. If I were Catholic I would've confessed it.