Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: DOES THE PLS APPROACH WORK OR NOT?  (Read 6681 times)

lincolnsgrandson

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: DOES THE PLS APPROACH WORK OR NOT?
« Reply #30 on: December 30, 2005, 09:29:50 AM »
You're going to meet someone on law review who read and briefed every case, and you'll meet another who didn't read a single case and relied on commercial materials.  If there was a singular way to excel, then everybody would know and it would not matter. 
At some point you're going to suffocate from everybody's advice, and you'll just have to develop your own technique.  When I stopped doing what other people were telling me (including law review, professors, Gilbert's), and developed my own strategies, that's when I started to get straight A's.

qaz123

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2006, 02:06:07 PM »
pls2 does offer some good general advice, but the pls2 summer prep approach is a bunch of garbage and atticus' bitter and cynical view of law school is entirely outdated. 

yes, i think that briefing cases is a giant waste of time.  and yes you will need commercial supplements for some classes.  but to say that you need to read and study them BEFORE classes start is a huge joke.  all you need to do is reference them during the semester when you need to.  contrary to popular belief, you WILL have plenty of free time in law school.  its not like a giant tidal wave that will bury you and you wont have time for anything else in life besides reading the assigned cases. 

his idea that prepping is necessary because the case method is some incomprehensible mess that is impossible to learn from is just wrong. i think its usually pretty damn clear from the cases, casebook notes, and class what the general rules of law are supposed to be.  and for the subtopics that arent so clear, you have commercial outlines to refer to.

and his whole thing about "hide the ball" game is just wrong.  most professors are there to see you succeed and learn so that you can go out into practice and reflect well on your school.  not to mention the fact that you can just look up old exams, so even if they were trying, profs really couldnt "hide the ball."

i cant help but laugh and the whole frenzy this book has stirred up.  atticus falcon will go down in history as one of the greatest trolls of all time.  never before has a troll been so powerful as to make people spend hundreds of dollars and waste hundreds of hours of their lives.

S|

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2006, 03:31:45 PM »
So, how are your grades and what school do you go to?

qaz123

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2006, 04:33:32 PM »
so far i only have 1 grade back.  its a 3.5 in civpro, on a 2.7 curve.

JackInTheBox

• Sr. Citizen
  • Eggnog and Pumpkin Pie Shakes Make Me In The Box
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: January 16, 2006, 05:18:47 PM »
I think PLS defintely works.  I had an advantage over almost all the other students for almost the entire first semester.  However, PLS is not a magic pill; I didn't do very well my first finals b/c I didn't put enough analysis in my answers.
Still, as far as pure knowledge goes, if you follow the PLS method, you will be in good stead...and most of my friends who followed PLS ended up with stellar grades.

BTW, I am selling my PLS for cheaper than you will find it on Amazon.  Private message me if interested.

dft

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 16, 2006, 05:47:53 PM »
Still, as far as pure knowledge goes, if you follow the PLS method, you will be in good stead...

Yes, I think this is correct. I heard from someone who used the PLS method (and I'm pretty sure did well in her first year) that she was doing a clinic with some other students, and she had a much better handle on the law in the cases they were involved in. She said that she felt she even knew the law better than other people who had received better grades than her in first year. I'm guessing this is because a lot of those people sort of crammed and forgot everything, while she had been learning the law and playing with hypos all year long.

So even if your grades aren't amazing, I think following the PLS approach may result in more knowledge retained.

JackInTheBox

• Sr. Citizen
  • Eggnog and Pumpkin Pie Shakes Make Me In The Box
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: January 16, 2006, 06:30:47 PM »
The downside to following PLS, ofcourse, is that you spend your summer b/f school prepping instead of partying.  Many people are critical of this, saying it is a waste of time...
note, this is KEY to the PLS method.  Many people claim to follow the PLS method, but if you haven't done the prepping/required reading in the book, I don't see how you can make the claim.

If you don't do the reading over the summer, you won't know the BLL and the principles behind the PLS method.  Without the principles of PLS method and the BLL, you will be in the same boat as everyone else come fall.  You will be over-briefing and will fall under the many illusions...you will never have the extra time again you need to read the supplements.

However, since we are on the "students" side of the board, I'm assuming mostly current law students are reading this.  If you have survived your first semester of law school, reading PLS at this point probably won't teach you anything you haven't already figured out.  PLS is really geared towards people with at least 3 months to kill before starting school.

S|

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 16, 2006, 10:26:28 PM »
PLS certainly made studying for exams less stressful, but the only thing that matters is if the work translates into grades.

dft

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 17, 2006, 12:31:19 AM »
I also have to add (as a justification for my grades) that I am a pretty inefficient "studier." I mean yea -- I worked really hard last semester, especially towards the end. And in the weeks before final exam period and during final exam period, I studied a ton and I was more efficient about it. But I know if I hadn't BS'd around a lot that I could have got a lot more done.

I'm not really that bad. I'm really good compared to my roommates (who don't work hard at all and aren't law students). I know I could have been more efficient though. But, if I was more efficient, I probably would have gone crazy from too much studying.

searching

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 02, 2006, 12:44:14 PM »
Have to ask--what is PLS?