Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: So What do I really need?  (Read 1048 times)

Rowgirl

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3.3/165
    • View Profile
    • Email
So What do I really need?
« on: August 23, 2005, 10:46:22 AM »
I'm going to the bookstore tomorrow to buy my casebooks.  What else do I really need.  I've heard people recommend it seems like 1000 things that I need to study, but that seems overwhelming.  What did you use, what worked, what was a waste of money?
In: BC, Northeastern ($), Quinnipaic ($$), Suffolk ($), Temple ($)
Waitlisted: W&M, W&L
Out: BU
Attending: BC

lincolnsgrandson

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: So What do I really need?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2005, 11:06:33 AM »
You're not going to find a consensus, here or anywhere.  It really does depend on your casebook, professors, and your own study needs.  You can look through all the previous threads, but you might not find the answer that works for you.

So my vote for what are generally useful and wasteful:

generally useful:  Emanuel's or Gilbert's, Examples and Explanations, using LexisNexis and Westlaw

generally wasteful: Legalines and CaseNotes, Nutshell, Crunchtime, flashcards (a lot of students disagree with me on that), multi-colored highlighters, those four-page condensed outlines. 

in between: if you get Black's Law Dictionary, you probably will use it often.  But it will gather dust after your first year. 

nb: Hornbooks and treatises are good to study with, but don't buy them.  Use them at the library.
nb: get a hold of outlines from students who have previously taken the class.

rapunzel

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2005, 10:13:16 PM »
Just buy your casebooks for now.  The bookstore is not that far away, you can go back when and if you find you need something.  I find it is good to see what commercial outlines people like before I buy.  That way I never buy more than one for each class.

giraffe205

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2005, 03:04:25 PM »
Hands down, Examples & Explanations is fantastic! I have yet to run into a person at my ls that vehemently disagrees.

Unlike lincolnsgrandson, I think that Crunchtime was excellent for a quick review. I also like to use different colored highlighters since I book brief.

I thought flashcards were most helpful for torts and property (esp. w/ the Rule of Perpetuities), but not all that helpful in Contracts or civpro.

Just find what works best for you.

lawschoolgirl

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2005, 05:39:00 PM »
i have also heard alot of great things about examples and explanations...can anyone tell me where to buy them? would barnes and noble or borders carry them? also how much do they cost? and are there specific books for each class?

hope74usa

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2005, 05:57:43 PM »
i have also heard alot of great things about examples and explanations...can anyone tell me where to buy them? would barnes and noble or borders carry them? also how much do they cost? and are there specific books for each class?

They probably do. They also have them at a slight discount (and sometimes used) at ecampus.com and barristerbooks.com

Rowgirl

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3.3/165
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2005, 06:06:19 PM »
I just bought a few examples and explinations from amazon, all used, for about half the price of new.  My torts prof specifically recommened that series, so I figured I'd try that.
In: BC, Northeastern ($), Quinnipaic ($$), Suffolk ($), Temple ($)
Waitlisted: W&M, W&L
Out: BU
Attending: BC

nonamesleftforme

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2005, 09:47:49 PM »
E & E rocks.  It's great for personal use as well as study groups to throw around hypotheticals.  Sometimes the prof just isn't explaining it so you understand it...E & E is great for that.  Definatley buy them used off of amazon or half.com.