Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Starting law school today (University of KY)  (Read 589 times)

Jackson Smith

• View Profile
Starting law school today (University of KY)
« on: August 22, 2005, 11:19:08 PM »
I just cant figure how reading the casebook and briefing the cases would prepare me for the final (which is a random set of facts, in which you have to spot the issues and analyze it from all sides). To me, it seems logical to learn the rule of law and the exceptions, and then just take a bunch of practice tests or something. Then when the final comes, youve had alot of practice at it. I guess making yourself an outline would help, but thats pretty much just learning the black letter stuff anyway. I will make my outline as I go along, and then probably revise it. Having an outline that's more than 30 pages for a subject seems counterproductive too. How is anyone going to remember all that anyway.
3.5/160
In: UK($$), UArkansas($$), UPitt, UAkron($$)
Out: UDub, ND
Pending: Too many to list

SassDiva2000

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Starting law school today (University of KY)
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2005, 08:32:30 PM »
Believe it or not, but you actually learn and memorize the material through the creation of the outline itself. By outlining (and I suggest that you do your own and not simply use someone else's), you organize the material and see how the pieces fit together. The outline is only a tool that facilitates learning. Some people don't outline at all and do great. Others outline but in a really funky way that would look like a jumbled mess to anyone but them.

My outline for real property was almost 50 pages which is insane and what I would consider far too long (on average, my outlines are about 20-25 pages). The professor covered a ton of material during that semester which I would have never gotten a handle on unless I'd had it all organized in an outline.

But as everyone in this forum says, whatever works for you works for you. Since you've just started law school, you won't figure out what works for you anytime soon. I would suggest seriously consider study methods from seasoned law students and find which one works for you. Don't knock anything until you're sure it isn't necessary for you.