Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: First Assignments...  (Read 3269 times)

Comm-Law

• View Profile
First Assignments...
« on: August 20, 2005, 09:41:37 PM »
So far I've made it through my Contracts and Civ Pro for Monday... what do you guys think about the first day reading/questions for our 1L classes?  I guess I'm wondering how many days it will be before they start really loading us up with heavy reading and writing.

- Comm-Law

Hotel Yorba

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: First Assignments...
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2005, 12:00:30 AM »
my first day stuff was pretty light.  One case in each class - not too bad, Contracts wasn't bad, Civ Pro was a little more plodding and slow going.  I have what seems like quite a bit to do for Research and writting, but I still need to pick up two of the books, I'll take care of that tomorrow.

What did you think of the Paper Chase, they must have had 200 students in the 1L class - at least they would get called on less though. I hope I am not one of the first ones come tomorrow, but I guess it'll happen soon enough either way. 

emarejay

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2005, 10:32:12 PM »
So far Im dissapointed. I was expecting to have to work much harder. I know it is early, but last night I watched TV for 3 hours and then slept for 10. Now Im watching pre-season football and golfing tomorrow?. Nine credits, at this point in time, seems too light. I enjoy it, but I feel like Im not being pushed very hard. The three day weekend offers plenty of time to get work done for contracts and civ pro. I know a lot of you have other commitments and responsibilities like family that are also priorities. My problem is that I have none. I need to join a club or something. You finish your work and you can talk to someone. I just get in bed and watch ESPN haha.

LRW seems like it will be relatively bland, but easy. I really like O'Connell. She seams very reasonable. Civ Pro seems the hardest, with contracts in the middle. I noticed that we have a 5 day weekend coming up too since LRW is cancelled for Tuesday after labor day.

I have this transitional thing all figured out. The school is so obsessed with rankings (a good thing) that they sat around and thought, "hmmmmm, how can we raise our admission stats without making the class smaller thus losing revenue and do so fast? Oh I got it, lets admit only the highest GPAs and LSATs into full time day and everyone else we will put in some other program that will still graduate in three years but not affect our incoming full time day statistics. That way we tell US NEWS that our median LSAT is 159 for full time day when next semester the median LSAT for full time day will be 156, but they wont know that."

What you guys think about that?

All in all though, I am very satisfied with the school. I like my classmates, faculty, and even the campus. Toledo on the other hand is a terrible and boring city. My roommate just came here from Istanbul and thinks the US sucks. I feel obligated to take him to Chicago or something one of these weekends. I almost wish that I was commuting though, because Im living above a bunch of freshmen who are blasting music until 3am everynight and begging me to buy them beer. The main reason I decided to drop all of the money and live here was because I was expecting to have to read 300 pages a night and didn't want to waste time in the car.

Next semester guys will be a reality check.

Comm-Law

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2005, 03:05:36 AM »
Interesting observation about the USN&WR rankings.  It is possible that Toledo has found a good way to fudge the numbers through their transitional program.  I also noticed that use of the transitional program makes it possible for them to hold only one Property class this semester.  (AND WOW is that classroom is packed!) 

I'd say that overall, the workload has been slightly less than I expected but this is only the first week... I'm sure that things will get more difficult as the semester progresses and the LRW work really kicks-in. 

Don't get too comfortable with your 3 day weekends.... Spring semester, you'll be in for a little shock when your workload almost doubles... on the other hand... live it up while you can.  Maybe this semester you can fly out to Vegas a few more times with all of those long weekends ;)

- Comm-Law

Goldy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2005, 08:54:00 AM »
Don't worry about the workload, it will start kicking in soon. Also, next semester you will have the appellate brief to occupy a lot of your time.