Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: 1L workload  (Read 3805 times)

dkast

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
1L workload
« on: August 18, 2005, 11:12:55 PM »
Hi:

I’ve been reading, analyzing and studying for about 10 hours today.

I've come to a point in which I find myself asking the question:

"Do they (meaning the university/professors) want us to actually learn the law and how to analyze fact situations and think, or simple breeze through the material so we can say we have done our assignment in which case you learn nothing?"

I like to take time and think about what I am reading, how it relates to the big picture, including an in depth analysis of how the court arrived at its conclusion based on applying rules of law to fact situations.  Also thinking of arguments that could be made by both appelle's and appellant's counsel.  Unfortunately, with the workload given at my university this is not really possible.

I'm going to continue to utilize this method even if its the case that i dont get the full assignment done. F THEM.  My goal is learning analysis and legal methods, thinking.  Not just blazing through it like the germans through poland in 1939.

1Ls or 2Ls please provide input and let me know if you are or have experienced similar thoughts.

Thank you.

jimmyjohn

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: 1L workload
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2005, 11:44:19 PM »
You sound like a f**cking gunner.  Lighten up a little and stop being such a feminine hygiene product.  No one cares how long you studied today.  Ultimately law school takes up as much time as you let it.  10 hours is almost certainly counterproductive.

rick8481

• Sr. Citizen
  • I'm In!!!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2005, 11:48:48 PM »
10 hours a day?  It sounds like you entered with the assumption that they were trying to hide the ball in the first place thus making you think you had to search for the ball.  The ball is there, once you think you have found it, roll with it.  If you are wrong you will find out come class time and can use the insight from that class to determine what snagged you.  Don't keep looking if you think you found it.  That is what "they" want you to do.  In reality, it is right there in front of you.  Good luck. 

My worthless 2 cents.
3.1  157
Accepted: Mercer, Stetson, Florida Coastal w/ $$$
A**holes: Georgia State 
Wait Listed: UGA,
Hold:  FSU

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=rick8481

slacker

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2005, 11:51:39 PM »
The first year's a marathon, not a sprint. Don't burn yourself out. It's good to try to get a "bigger picture", but pay attention to what the professor is asking. That'll give an indication of the type of stuff s/he wants on a final.

Krisace

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2005, 01:44:00 AM »
In regards to learning "how to think like a lawyer" which I think is what you want to do right now with the analyzing comments (and you mentiona  good point), you'll see that you don't need to (and shouldn't because of lack of time) spend time thinking of all that stuff except on a few occasion and you'll know those when you see them. 

You'll learn to analyze and think creatively the more you read and brief etc.  Good luck!

dkast

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2005, 02:37:46 AM »
You sound like a f**cking gunner.  Lighten up a little and stop being such a feminine hygiene product.  No one cares how long you studied today.  Ultimately law school takes up as much time as you let it.  10 hours is almost certainly counterproductive.

Thanks for the input, unlike yourself, i'm serious about law school and not a frat boy who still uses the word feminine hygiene product.

Good luck

Served

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2005, 02:54:33 AM »
I did the same thing when I entered graduate school for the first time and had to learn this was not the proper approach the hard way.  By studing so hard with a holistic approach in a utilitarian subject (law school is utilitarian) you are almost certainly being counterproductive.  Unfortunately, perhaps the only place such dedication is appreciated is in philosophy or the humanities in which you are expected to think about EVERYTHING.  Law school is not such a forum.  Learn what you need for class, they will prepare you for a job.  Learn about the philosophy of what you are studying by yourself for yourself, or if you enter academia.  Trust me, over analyzing issues will not help, especially if your approach is the what your prof appreciates.
“The best way to lie is to tell part of the truth.”     -Twain
“Religion is the universal obsessional neurosis of humanity.”     - Freud
“When your only tool is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.”     - Maslow

be10dwn

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2005, 08:03:41 AM »
I tell you what, I'm probably such a nerd but since I have trouble with time management, I used outlook to set up a schedule for my week using the calendar.  I set up study time and limited it to 2 hours per class at a time.  I'm trying to view this as a work schedule and am going to try to stick to it.  We'll see how it goes.  Out of curiosity, how much time do you guys recommend spending preparing for a class.  I'm thinking 2 hours for every one hour of class time but I don't know.  Do you think that is enough time?

slacker

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2005, 01:44:01 PM »
Flexibility...flexibility...f lexibility.

Some classes might require more prep time than others. For torts last year I used to do all my reading/briefing on weekends becauase there was so much of it some weeks, I found it easier to just devote a day to torts and not try to work it in each day.

Another thing that might matter is if the prof. has a predictable schedule for calling on you. E.g., some professors would let you know when your time was up -- others it'd be totally random. If you've got some forewarning that you're going to be called upon, you'll probably be a little more thorough in your prep.

abclaw

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2005, 05:38:26 PM »
dkast:  It's August 19th and you're overwhelmed already?  Are you even out of orientation yet?  Re-read Slaker's post - he nailed it.