Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: orientation questions  (Read 3234 times)

Janna116

• View Profile
Re: orientation questions
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2005, 01:07:45 PM »
the previous comment about 2Ls and 3Ls in wrong.  They are doing their on-campus interviews now, and they will all be dressed in suits.  Don't let it intimidate you; you'll see less of those suits after the first few weeks.

Wear whatever you feel comfortable with for orientation and throughout the year. 

Maybe it's wrong for your school but I am a 2L and I've been to school a few hours each day this week for various reasons where I have seen plenty of 2L's and 3L's who were all dressed casually.  Our OCI hasn't started yet.  In fact, a lot of people haven't even returned from their summer positions yet. 

So if you see anyone in a suit, I agree, ignore them...

Jen
It is never too late to be what you might have been. - George Eliot

hope74usa

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2005, 01:26:28 PM »
The law school that I will be attending has a photo online of the college of law. At the time the photo was taken there are a LOT of students coming and going from the building. They're all wearing jeans and/or shorts. I'll be following suit.

kenshin

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2005, 03:04:28 PM »
3 piece suit, roller backpack, preferrably mode of transportation being a segway

J D

• Sr. Citizen
  • Lust isn't one of the 7 Deadly Sins for nothing...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2005, 04:14:18 PM »
Some schools (I know of at least BU) have a thing where new students have their picture taken at orientation for the school's facebook/directory, which prospective employers often look at for recruiting events.  Thus on one day it may be recommended for you to dress relatively nicely (at least a nice collared shirt, maybe a shirt and tie) and leave the Ren & Stimpy T-shirt at home.  The other days, I doubt anyone gives a damn what you wear, as long as you're dressed.
"I never think of the future.  It comes soon enough."--Albert Einstein

dkast

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2005, 08:43:07 PM »
it doesnt matter what you wear at all.  I've notices alot of people in my school are wearing suits.  I wore a suit for 3 years and only wear one if I am getting paid to wear one. You'll have plenty of time to wear suits once you become an attorney.  For the time being wear what you want.  It doesnt matter at all.

klaw

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2005, 09:06:41 AM »
Don't fall for it, 1Ls. A lot of the people in my class last year wore suits the first day and looked like complete tools. Everyone dresses casual in law school unless you have an interview or a meeting with a professor or a special event to go to.

eray01

« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2005, 10:34:58 PM »
3 piece suit, roller backpack, preferrably mode of transportation being a segway

The visual on that comment is funny.

dkast

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2005, 08:04:49 PM »
I don;t understand your quote "if you smoke, why bath"

Shed some light on this.

Thanks

zaphod

• worst dressed sentient being in the galaxy
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2005, 08:23:30 PM »
Today was the first day of orientation. I walked in and there was a sea of black suits. They, of course, told us to dress professional. But, I was still relieved I wasn't the only one in a suit. The funny part is one guy apparently didn't get the memo, and he strolled in wearing a t-shirt, shorts, and flip flops. He looked like Jeff Spicoli. Everyone looked at him, and it was obvious they were making comments to each other. He just kind of shrunk away to the edge of the crowd. Can you imagine how he must of felt when he first walked in. I would have run home real quick to change. That's the antithesis to the one guy who shows up in a suit at an orientation with a casual dress code. They both looked like tools. Of course, maybe all of us in suits still looked like tools, but at least we could be tools together.

Boy, I hope for your sake that the first day isn't a reflection on the rest of your law school career.  My nightmare was a law school wear everyone "dressed professionally" every day.  Shudder.  My anecdotal experience, one person that I can remember wore a suit, most were in between, quite a few wore the t-shirt and flip flops ensemble. 
Don't Panic

lincolnsgrandson

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2005, 08:54:42 PM »
How about a suit with flip-flops?  That would be dope.