Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: orientation questions  (Read 3232 times)

TWUKaili

• MSN Messenger - mandylaw@sbcglobal.net
    • AOL Instant Messenger - ucdmandy22
    • View Profile
    • Email
orientation questions
« on: August 17, 2005, 11:13:13 AM »
Hey everyone, this may seem like a silly question, but what do people usually wear to orientation? Is it appropriate to wear jeans or capri's or should you be  a  bit more formal than that? I'm just starting to get really nervous, I've been working on my assignments that are due for orientation, and getting prepared, but the closer it gets, the more nervous I get. Any suggestions would help, or past experiences! Thanks

Krisace

• View Profile
Re: orientation questions
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2005, 11:56:05 AM »
Jeans and a t-shirt is fine.

RUSewCrazy

• 2.6/163
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2005, 11:59:51 AM »
I've been wondering the same thing - getting nervous as well! I'm planning on jeans also. I'm sure I won't be the only one.

Janna116

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2005, 12:46:34 PM »
If you're really nervous: go to school, chances are there are some 2Ls and 3Ls wandering the halls by now.  Make note of what they are wearing and follow suit to join the crowd. 

If your concern is based on reading OneL or The Paper Chase and you think that you need to wear a blazer to class, those books are about 30 years old and law school, or at least my school, is a lot more casual.  Most people just wear jeans and T's or khakis and polos, skirts and T's etc...  However, there is a wide spectrum and some people dress up because they like to, so wear what you want and I'm sure you'll blend in.

-Jen
It is never too late to be what you might have been. - George Eliot

kristin1644

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2005, 12:53:48 PM »
I think jeans are fine, but if you are worried, wear some khakis that can be considered to be nicer than jeans but not too dressed up--that way you won't feel too out of place either way.  But honestly, people in law school (for the most part anyway) dress casually.

MR2Tyler

• Vrroom.
    • AOL Instant Messenger - MR2Tyler
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2005, 12:33:07 AM »
My orientation has been business-casual.  I've been wearing khakis along with polos or untucked dress shirts - which is basically how I dress anyway - and haven't felt out of place.  Next week I'm reverting to t-shirts and shorts until the weather gets cooler.

-Ty
Won:  Idaho ($$)
Lost:  USC, UW, UC Davis (Whipped like a Yugo in F1)
Still Racing:  W&M

lincolnsgrandson

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2005, 12:40:55 AM »
the previous comment about 2Ls and 3Ls in wrong.  They are doing their on-campus interviews now, and they will all be dressed in suits.  Don't let it intimidate you; you'll see less of those suits after the first few weeks.

Wear whatever you feel comfortable with for orientation and throughout the year. 

eray01

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2005, 01:21:03 AM »
My school requires "professional dress" the first day and "comfortable casual" the other days.

slacker

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2005, 02:43:01 AM »
Professional dress and business casual? Ick. Where I am it's definitely casual. As mentioned, you'll see people in more formal attire generally for specific reasons such as on-campus (or off-campus) interviews, jobs or externships, court for clinics or other reasons, etc.

scottxmacdougall

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2005, 10:07:56 AM »
At my school people come in wearing everything from a shirt and tie to shorts and flip flops. Most people just wore jeans and a nice shirt. The second day is became much more casual. The third day the Dean of Financial Aid spoke to us and said, wear jeans here; you can so you might as well.