Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Study Aids  (Read 1084 times)

Bradzwest Returns

Study Aids
« on: August 16, 2005, 09:28:54 PM »
n

Janna116

• View Profile
Re: Study Aids
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2005, 11:37:07 PM »
Study aids help but it depends on the prof and the class.  For example, my Civ Pro prof was the most confusing person you could ever meet.  If I hadn't purchased E&E Glannon for Civ Pro and High Courts keyed to Yeazell I wouldn't have had any idea what was going on in there.  On the other hand my Contracts professor was great and I didn't really feel the need to go overboard with the supplements, the Black Letter Outline was all I needed. 

So you might want to wait a week or two to figure out which classes you need help in and which classes you feel like you have a grip on. Also a lot of people didn't buy books or flashcards until right before exams in a sort of panic.  I'd recomend ebay right now if you wanted to go ahead and buy some cheap study aids.  The number of books in the Law and Government section of textbooks has doubled over the past week on ebay.

As far as edition, as long as the book was published within the last 3 or 4 years I would imagine that the law as we know it has not changed dramatically.  My Glannons book was published in 2001 and that was fine.  If there has been some new decision from the supreme court which requires a complete overhaul of the textbooks and supplements then I would get the most current.

I like E&E, especially for Civ Pro, but also excellent for other things.  I also really liked the Black Letter Outline series, different from the Black Letter series.  I have never looked at or used Legalines or Casenotes but I have used High Courts and their great in a pinch.  As far as picking a particular outline, canned brief etc, go to the bookstore and flip through a few of them and find a format that you like.  Also ask the 2Ls and 3Ls at your school for their recomendations, some profs teach more toward one book than another and my Con Law prof actually recomended Emanuels over Gilberts because it turned out that he used exam questions directly out of Gilberts so of course we all went out and purchased Gilberts.  So there may be reasons to buy a particular study aid over another other than someone on LSD says they liked it, although their opinions are useful.

In summation, study guides are not useless, wait to figure out which classes you need help in, ask upperclassmen about recomendations, browse through the book store and Most importantly:

If you buy a study aid try to read it throughout the semester or you might find yourself reading a Gilberts one week before exams thinking "why oh why didn't I read this sooner."

Good luck with school and congrats on your scholarship.

Jen
It is never too late to be what you might have been. - George Eliot

clicquot

• View Profile
Re: Study Aids
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2005, 05:41:30 PM »
Presently, I am a 2L. However, last year I spend a fortune on text study aids, (Examples and Explanations, High Court Case Briefs, etc...). I will say that I stopped reading these books 2 months into my first semester. With all of the required case readings assigned in law school, there just wasn't enought time to read MORE books. My solution was to purchase Gilbert and Sum & Substance audio CD's. They proved to be invaluable when studying for finals. Instead of getting bogged down reading boring material, I was able to listen to the CD's and type an ouline as I went along. This proved to be the best study method for me. I did extremely well on finals, just by briefly looking over notes and listening to the CD's. By far, the most helpful CD was Gilbert's CD on Civ Pro. I couldn't of passed that class without it. Hope this helps!
No one likes a cry baby!