Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Class is getting in the way of my studying.  (Read 1357 times)

dkast

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Class is getting in the way of my studying.
« on: August 16, 2005, 02:52:24 PM »
Anyone share this sentiment.

I was in class today and a student was asked to recite the facts of a case. After every fact she would state "and I believe that this is wrong, i think that blah blah blah.  I'm glad the professor eventually stopped her and told her just to answer his question. 

Anyway, while i was sitting there listening to her go on and on about what she considers right and wrong I realized that I have so much work to do regarding learning the black letter law for torts and have to spend 3 hours tonight condensing and thinking out hypos in my primers. 

Class is really getting in the way.

I see people in my classes going nuts with note taking like they are in a lecture course.  I've taken about a 1/2 page of notes so far in the first week on some small points i missed and some legal terms my professor was emphasizing.

I think a laptop is important because the professor wont be able to discern what you're working on, what really is important, learning black letter law and analizing how the fact situations fall into those elements.

Let me know if any of you have experienced similar thoughts.

Thank you.

BIG H2001

• UNC 1L
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Class is getting in the way of my studying.
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2005, 04:34:28 PM »
Assuming you are not on full scholarship, you are paying lots of money to attend each class.  You might as well get something out of it.  If you think it's not benefiting you at all, just stop going and do all the work on your own.

JoeG

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2005, 07:35:14 PM »
Class is great if you want to hear a bunch of retards fumble through easy material.

Play solitaire like everyone else and quit complaining. 

rapunzel

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2005, 07:41:54 PM »
I don't think he was complaining, just asking for input.
I agree that much of what occurs in class will not be helpful.  Especially certain profs who mistake the socratic method for a means of torture and confusion.  So I do endorse tuning out most of what is said.  It certainly would be a good use of your time to actually study.
One reason to keep going- when a prof reads an exam, he or she will respond favorably to students who frame issues the way he or she likes issues framed.  Or someone who slants an argument towards policy the prof espouses.  You can get a lot of tips about how to write your exam from observing the prof.  Plus, it does get better as everyone gets more proficient at stating cases and as profs give up the socratic game.

dkast

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2005, 12:02:01 AM »
If you think it's not benefiting you at all, just stop going and do all the work on your own.

I just said its getting in the way of studying, nothing about lack of benefits, though they are minute when compared to the big picture.

Thanks for the input.

slacker

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2005, 01:48:03 PM »
I agree with Rapunzel on using class to learn how to speak the professor's language. It also can give you an idea of what will be on the final, not just how to answer the questions on the final. For some classes if the prof. uses a lot of hypos, I'll take note of those since those indicate how the professor is thinking of these issues.

BIG H2001

• UNC 1L
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2005, 12:41:56 AM »
If you think it's not benefiting you at all, just stop going and do all the work on your own.

I just said its getting in the way of studying, nothing about lack of benefits, though they are minute when compared to the big picture.

Thanks for the input.

I could be wrong but doesn't the fact that you'd rather be studying kind of imply the thinking that you can get more benefits by doing something else.  I mean it seemed pretty obvious that you were thinking you could use your time better by studying vs. sitting in class.  To me, this seems to mean that you get more benefit out of studying.  So while you didn't explicitly mention benefits, it was certainly implied in your OP.