Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Joint JD / MBA? Career path question...  (Read 2790 times)

Wisch

• AOL Instant Messenger - powdercarvr
    • View Profile
Joint JD / MBA? Career path question...
« on: August 12, 2005, 11:13:05 PM »
As of now, I hope to end up working in either estate planning, or real estate. (a combo of both would be best) However corporate and business law classes seem the most appealing. I have an undergrad in business. Before I go to a few already in the feild, what are your thoughts on picking up a joint degree?

btideroll

• View Profile
Re: Joint JD / MBA? Career path question...
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2005, 06:11:52 PM »
As of now, I hope to end up working in either estate planning, or real estate. (a combo of both would be best) However corporate and business law classes seem the most appealing. I have an undergrad in business. Before I go to a few already in the feild, what are your thoughts on picking up a joint degree?

I have a BBA in Finance. I'm doing the Joint JD/MBA if for nothing else, personal development. I enjoy business and I wanted to do this joint program regardless if I go into "corporate law". I think it just bolsters yourr marketability and enhances your chances of working as in-house counsel somewhere as well.

IF nothing more it gives you more tools and options in functioning in the business world and would probably make starting your own business easier than if you didn't get the joint degree. All-in-all I think its a great credential that opens doors to great things.

XYZZY

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2005, 08:53:40 PM »
Pursuing a JD/MBA to start a business doesn't make sense.  It indicates a risk-adverse personality, somewhat anithetical to the traits of an entrepreneur.  It probably only makes sense if you generally enjoy the subject matter of both, otherwise the real world rewards ut experience than education, especially since you're likely to only use 10% of the education 5 years out.

btideroll

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2005, 10:33:35 PM »
Pursuing a JD/MBA to start a business doesn't make sense.  It indicates a risk-adverse personality, somewhat anithetical to the traits of an entrepreneur.  It probably only makes sense if you generally enjoy the subject matter of both, otherwise the real world rewards ut experience than education, especially since you're likely to only use 10% of the education 5 years out.

I said it would probably make starting your own business easier--implying you have the knowledge of the legal ramifications, restrictions, and requirements to operate as well as knowhing about business itself. Folks who start businesses usually end up seeking some sort of legal advice or service at some point--get my point?

And to further the argument, I think you are assuming starting your own business as the first thing out of school. All I meant was at some point in your career, if you decided to pursue your own firm or business venture, whether by yourself, or with others, it would be beneficial to house the knowledge of both degrees and experience.

jdmba2007

• View Profile
    • JD/MBA blog
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2005, 04:01:06 AM »
I recommend you take a look at this link:
http://jdmba.blogspot.com/2005/07/advantages-of-jdmba.html

Served

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2005, 04:24:39 AM »
I wouldn't suggest an MBA if your undergrade is already in business unless you completely forgot everything you learned and want to go into management.  You won't be able to pick up a concentration in your mba because you sacrafice credits by combining degrees.  I would only suggest the mba to people with nonbusiness backgrounds in humanities, sciences, or social sciences, and that is if they like management.
“The best way to lie is to tell part of the truth.”     -Twain
“Religion is the universal obsessional neurosis of humanity.”     - Freud
“When your only tool is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.”     - Maslow