Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Need advice on a good civil law mock trial for H.S. law class!  (Read 370 times)

MikeinSF

• View Profile
    • Email
Hi,

I'm a 12th grade law/Government teacher, I have been re-working a mock trial for a
civil law unit each year and I just can't seem to find the "right case."

I'm looking for a case which the class can divide into two groups (obviously) but
the legal issue is arguable, and can be debated for several days. Past trials have involved a radical public school student who wrote inflamatory remarks in student newspapers, was suspended, then publicized material on his own, school tried to stop distribution (1st Ammendment), etc.  But, cases like this are a bit unrealistic and rather than arguing the perimeters of a individual's rights, it goes to a debate on the degree of guilt. 

Any cases, suggestions, website links would be appreciated.  Thank you!

melloo653

• Sr. Citizen
  • I'm on the left, only blonde now.
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Need advice on a good civil law mock trial for H.S. law class!
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2005, 11:32:22 PM »
Hi,

I was the captain of both my high school and collegiate mock trial teams.  It is a wonderful program for all walks of life and in all levels of academia.  Here are some suggestions:

1.  We had a civil case during my freshman year in college that involved a negligence/contributory negligence suit.  The wife sued a the mountain climbing company that her husband used to climb Everest, on behalf of her husband's estate.  To make a long story short, the decedent was showing signs of fatigue, nausea and the mountain climbing company failed to(though it can be argued either way) take him back down the mountain.  He died up there.  He also signed a no liability waiver that stated he would not sue in the event of death, sickness, injury.  However, the waiver was contingent on the duty of care the company afforded him during the summit.  This of course is one of the main issues.  Very interesting!!!  Hope this helps....we argued this for a year!!!!!
Off to Campbell!

Janna116

• View Profile
Re: Need advice on a good civil law mock trial for H.S. law class!
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2005, 02:47:50 AM »
MikeinSF

The last poster was talking about a Tort liability case.  Did you just want an arguable case or, since you are a government teacher, did you want a case that dealt with constitutional issues?  Just trying to narrow down the hundreds of cases I've read.

Jen
It is never too late to be what you might have been. - George Eliot