Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: law school environments  (Read 919 times)

angelus

• View Profile
    • Email
law school environments
« on: August 12, 2005, 12:55:54 AM »
I want to go somewhere that isn't cuthroat, where students see each other as potential colleagues and not as competition that must be destroyed.

does that mean Harvard is out? what about Hastings, Vanderbilt, etc.

Could those of you attending law schools give your opinions of the learning environment where you are attending?

Thanks.

Krisace

• View Profile
Re: law school environments
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2005, 02:46:47 AM »
McGeorge has an outstanding student body, faculty and administration.

lincolnsgrandson

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2005, 08:33:07 AM »
Could you explain a little more what your concern is? 

I would characterize Fordham as moderately cutthroat.  First year students know they have to excel in order to get the big law jobs that will help them repay loans, and some of them have their eyes towards transferring.  But students generally cooperate, because 1Ls need to rely on each other.  I think it's one of the many paradoxes of law school that although we really are in competition with one another, we have to cooperate. 

Upper level is different - everyone gets their grades, law review placement is determined, and a minority of students get their summer associate hookups.  The hierarchy has been established.  Your law school "section" is irrevocably broken up - no one cares the section anymore.  Many students are disappointed and bitter; some become arrogant.  Students find that things they had done all year, including studying and sharing with their classmates, has not helped.  As a result, the upper level becomes necessarily less cooperative. 

Janna116

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2005, 02:41:48 AM »
Wow, I've only gotten through my first year about to enter second and I was about to post that I attend Wake Forest and it is not cutthroat at all.  Everyone seems to genuinely care about one another for the most part.  Everyone pretty much shares study info etc and the upperclassman even give us their outlines for our classes.  But maybe lincoln is right.  Maybe that is all section comradery and maybe the upperclasses are more cutthroat.  As far as year one and the upperclassman being nice to first years Wake is great as far as being an upperclassman, I might have to get back to you on that.  It seems pretty collegial.  I've never heard any horror stories.

Jen
It is never too late to be what you might have been. - George Eliot