2 (10.5%)
Ho hum.
 3 (15.8%)
Pretty F*ing stupid, actually.
 7 (36.8%)
It's the lamest law joke ever.
 4 (21.1%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Author Topic: How are you taking notes?  (Read 3921 times)

birddog

• View Profile
Re: How are you taking notes?
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2005, 10:18:24 AM »
I used my laptop for 1L year and then handwrote for 2L and 3L.  My grades went up a ton when I started handwriting notes.  First, I took way too many notes on my laptop that I never really ever went back and read.  Second, because I'm a fast typer I basically took down most of what the prof said without having to think about it or synthesize it.  Finally, even if I thought I was paying attention while I just quickly checked my email, I really wasn't.  Even if I just diddles around on the internet for a few minutes, it honestly threw me off for most of the class.

Handwriting I found that I had to think about what the prof was saying in order to write it down - I couldn't just take dictation.  I was also forced to pay attention.  And, like the poster above said, I could format my handwritten notes much better - arrows, etc.  (and I was tired of lugging around the laptop - MUCH niced with just a few spirals).

I also changed the way I took notes.  I focused much more on writing down the questions the prof was asking and how to answer them.  For example, in my first amendment class I'd write down the questions to aks when tackling a particular issue and then I'd write down some of the elements to look for.  I also wrote down the hypos and how that changing things.  This type of analysis helped.

In the end, try using computer, try writing in spirals - try it all and figure out what works for you.  Don't feel like you have to do it one way or another just because everyone else does.  If your school is like mine was, you'll generally see that 1Ls all use laptops and that many 3Ls don't.

buggy

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2005, 11:47:56 AM »
If you are a person who likes taking notes on computer...it is worth getting OneNote...I have already had several Word users looking over my shoulder at the application and admiring how easy it is to keep everything organized. 

YankyKitten

• Take time and smell the flowers
    • AOL Instant Messenger - yankykitten
    • View Profile
    • LSN Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2005, 07:57:23 PM »
One Note does look great and Comp USA has a $50 rebate this week.
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?cycle=0405&user=YankyKitten178

"The great pleasure in life is doing what others say you cannot."

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2005, 11:31:55 PM »
I second the OneNote suggestion.  I love it.  I start class on Monday, but I've already got my folders and everything set up.  I love being able to have a page for each lecture/class with your briefs and class prep, and then the subpage for notes.

rapunzel

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2005, 04:00:01 AM »
I think Birddog has a very good point.  If you force yourself only to write down the really important stuff you will take only a handful of notes.  Notes that will likely be far more useful and accessable.  Try for one day.  Just sit back and listen and think.  I don't think your brain is turned on when you are transcribing.  Which means you have to go all the way back through everything you typed/wrote later.   

Melinda

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2005, 04:45:57 PM »
I am using OneNote, and have had a lot of ppl ask me about it.  If I have a good outline I do not take many notes.  If a professor talks about a topic I have in my outline I put a special bullet next to it just to confirm it is important to the prof.  I also sometimes write definitions in a prof's particular wording in an attempt to impress them later by quoting them on an exam.  If I am taking a lot of notes I know I missed something important in the reading, and try to go back through it later.

robocop1840

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2005, 09:47:27 PM »
I have been using onenote as well. I have not taken many notes, but 1 note allows me to incorporate my briefs into my notes, and basically I just take a few notes on what we extraxt from the case next to the brief it corresponds to. You can get 1 note from "Follet" for $49. I think well worth it.

Trancer

• Sr. Citizen
  • Conan the Republican!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2005, 07:41:15 AM »
I feel really weird being the only person not hammering away at the keyboard.  I often look around the room longingly, im not a note taker.  I usually do really well in classes if im interested.  It is nice to know im not the only person who doesnt feel like every word out of the professor said should be noted and cited.  I listen for substance, if a professor said something i like ill make a mental note and somehow refer to it later when im doing briefs for that class.  I really think the main purpose for class is for you to "attempt" to think and write lawyer-like, then go to class and see how a the professor thinks.  The closer your thinking is to their thinking (not in terms of substance, but in application of lawyer-like analysis) the better you are doing.
Its not the size of the army that counts, its the fury of the onslaught.
Seton Hall, August 05

arioso

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2005, 12:58:25 AM »
micro cassette

Uh, I like this option!

spouse

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2005, 09:12:05 AM »
Almost all students at my school try to attend classes as they find it extremely tiresome to videotape a certain class -- although that option is certainly available.