2 (10.5%)
Ho hum.
 3 (15.8%)
Pretty F*ing stupid, actually.
 7 (36.8%)
It's the lamest law joke ever.
 4 (21.1%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Author Topic: How are you taking notes?  (Read 3818 times)

YankyKitten

• Take time and smell the flowers
    • AOL Instant Messenger - yankykitten
    • View Profile
    • LSN Profile
    • Email
How are you taking notes?
« on: August 11, 2005, 09:48:10 PM »
Although I have owned a laptop throughout undergrad, I have never used one for note taking in the classroom.  I am wondering how other people are taking their notes.  Any input at all will be appreciated.

Thanks!
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?cycle=0405&user=YankyKitten178

"The great pleasure in life is doing what others say you cannot."

Krisace

• View Profile
Re: How are you taking notes?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2005, 10:21:16 PM »
Everyone pretty much uses a laptop.  Enjoy!

robocop1840

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2005, 12:49:42 PM »
YANKY,
I have been playing around with MS One Note this summer, it has some nice features that will allow me to incorporate briefs I write into notes during class, so I think I am going to give it a try for the first few classes. Not knowing what to expect as far as how much note taking is required etc. I dont know how it will work.

($)

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2005, 02:38:50 PM »
The more notes you take in class the worse you will do in law school. The typical student comes to class without having learned any law. That student spends an inordinate amount of time reading cases thinking that he will learn law from those cases.

When that student enters class she generally does not know the law from memory or has not even studied the law. Then the student proceeds to write down enormous amounts of notes that have little or no meaning when they are reviewed for an exam. That student and many of her compatriots may even try to reason about the law and make logical conclusions about the law even when they know nothing about that law.

All we can say is good luck; you'll need it. You cannot take notes on how to think and that is what applying the law is all about. If most students knew the law before they walked into class, they would simply say to themselves that this case is applying the transferred intent doctrine under tort law or this case is showing us how the reasonable person standard for a manifestation of contractual intent is analyzed under offer under contract law.

In class, you are merely learning the application of the law and making sure that you understand the underlying principle that the application is based upon.

If you already know the law, or are well underway to memorizing it, you go to class to learn how to apply the law and make sure you understand the principle behind the application of that law. It is virtually impossible to take notes on how to think about something.

In fact, when most students start to memorize the law their understanding of what is being discussed in class increases by orders of magnitude and the amount of note taking drops to virtually nothing.

You are in class to make sure that you can apply the law and understand the principles behind the application of the law.

You cannot learn the law in class nor can you ever understand the law if you do not take the time to memorize it and know all of its important aspects. Stop writing and listen and learn when you are in class.

Jackson Smith

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2005, 04:24:13 PM »
I'm still trying to figure out whether extensive note taking is even necessary. The only reason I can see it being important is so if you're called on, you can at least look like you're competent.
3.5/160
In: UK($$), UArkansas($$), UPitt, UAkron($$)
Out: UDub, ND
Pending: Too many to list

SassDiva2000

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2005, 05:58:56 PM »
I use a laptop but I rarely take notes in class. If I'm well prepared I don't take that many notes. I learn and absorb if I simply listen. If I haven't done the reading for a particular class session, then I will take copious notes, practically word for word.

il Principe

• The Archon of Protocol
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2005, 06:05:51 PM »
I use the good old fashioned way.  It hasn't failed me yet.
"The most futile and disastrous day seems well spent when it is reviewed through the blue, fragrant smoke of a Havana Cigar" - Evelyn Waugh

rapunzel

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2005, 06:45:03 PM »
I second the notion of taking limited notes, but truly listening and thinking.

Served

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2005, 06:49:36 PM »
By hand.  I draw too many damn arrows and funky pictures that would take too much time on a computer.  Also there is a position you have to sit in to type, while handwriting is more adaptable to various postures/seating positions.
“The best way to lie is to tell part of the truth.”     -Twain
“Religion is the universal obsessional neurosis of humanity.”     - Freud
“When your only tool is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.”     - Maslow

Mihton

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2005, 02:30:50 AM »

Laptop is 4ever ! It is cool for notes :)

_____________________________ ____
Mike . http://phmine.150m.com