Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Is your LSAT score important when you look for 1L summer job?  (Read 6001 times)

Melinda

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Is your LSAT score important when you look for 1L summer job?
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2006, 01:24:57 PM »
I taught LSAT which opens me up to the occasional question about it, then the usual joke about how they wish they wish they had me to teach them, ect.  It is good for me, becuase I was somewhat of a split with a average UG gpa, and it gives me a way to work it in.  I also open myself up to questions about religion b/c I studied religious studies in undergrad, and those questions are always a fine line to walk because you never know the interviewer's personal beliefs.  I think the questions about that subject are more to confirm I am not some religious fanatic who will be swayed by personal beliefs (which is very far fromt he truth).

elemnopee

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2006, 09:11:58 PM »
I've been asked my LSAT score in several interviews, and my school requires students to put in on their resumes.

tjking82

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2006, 08:53:15 AM »
I've been asked my LSAT score in several interviews, and my school requires students to put in on their resumes.

TTT

linquest

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2006, 04:32:08 AM »
I can't speak in regards to big firms since I didn't apply to any, but I doubt LSAT score and undergrad GPA are the most important factors.  I had 4 job offers (3 paid) before 1st semester grades came out (thank god).  No one asked me about my LSAT score or my undergrad GPA, which were all mediocre- it was all about my undergrad curriculum and prior work experience.

Also, I've never heard of any summer internship asking for letters of reference aside from fellowship programs that specifically require a recommendation from a law school professor.  What types of employers requested/required them?
Fed gov't atty

lincolnsgrandson

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2006, 07:22:15 AM »
clarification - your undergrad institution may be important; not your GPA.  And having a cum laude in undergrad is helpful. 
Many IP firms ask for an undergrad transcript.

majorporcupine

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2006, 03:05:50 AM »
Solid work experience on a well-presented resume can make up for a poor 1L GPA.

Depends on where you're applying.  For competitive positions, even the most slick presentation and work experience will not overcome lousy 1L grades; it's irresponsible to suggest otherwise.

Your LSAT usually is not required during interviews; most companies can infer reasonable undergrad GPA/LSAT/interesting life experiences from your law school.  Undergrad transcript and work experience will be important, of course.  To a lesser extent, your interviewing style will also be key.  But your 1L grades are very important, assuming you attend a grading institution.

bulletproof

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2006, 03:09:33 AM »
I interviewed with just 3 big firms for my 1L summer, one of the 3 did ask my LSAT score, it was the very last question.  After talking to classmates that also interviewed with them it seems that it was a standard question, and always at the close of the interview.  Talking to upper classmen it seems that most firms don't ask about it, but obviously at least some do.

celarkobri

« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2006, 12:39:55 PM »

We were told emphatically not to put it on our resume. They way they explained it to us was that some people are a little touchy about their score, and it's assumed that you did well enough to get into the school you got in to so it shouldn't matter. If they want it, they'll ask for it.