Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Books  (Read 5994 times)

jamieb131

• View Profile
Books
« on: August 09, 2005, 09:26:36 PM »
I went to the bookstore today after getting my ID card, and while I can't buy any books since I don't have my schedule yet, I was looking at some of the law books, and there is one that is required for 2 out of the 3 Civ Pro sections that USED is listed as $500. If I actually have to buy that book, I am going to have a serious problem. That is supposed to be our book budget for the semester!

This is the book I'm talking about:
Required Supplement: 2005 Rules of Civil Procedure with Resources for Study: Subrin, Minow, Brodin and Main: Aspen Publishers: 2005 Edition
ISBN: 0-7355-5802-7

I just hope the schedules come out tomorrow and I am NOT in one of those sections!

racheles05

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Books
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2005, 05:26:27 AM »
I saw that book, too. I guess a lot of us are hoping we don't get that section!

vixierat

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2005, 07:33:44 AM »
That's really depressing. I just opened a new credit card for law school related emergencies. If I end up in that section, that will be my first one.

Shardik

• Sr. Citizen
  • Ignorance, the root and the stem of every evil.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2005, 06:04:43 PM »
BarristerBooks is $35.00 for that book  ;D

Shardik

• Sr. Citizen
  • Ignorance, the root and the stem of every evil.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2005, 06:41:08 PM »
I picked up almost all my books and a Blacks for just under $600.00 from Barrister's, but i also paid extra for the faster shipping.

racheles05

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2005, 06:50:05 PM »
You kick butt.

swimmy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2005, 10:40:14 PM »
I bought my books today after thoroughly comparing prices at the FSU bookstore, Bill's bookstore and Barrister books.  In my particular situation I would have saved maybe $25 ordering them online, but I would have had to deal with the worry factor while waiting for them to arrive.  I bought about 3/4 of them at the FSU bookstore, and the rest at Bill's.  My grand total was $650.  There wasn't much left in the way of used books though, and the one that I could have bought used had all kinds of highlighting and writing in it, which is a major distraction to me.  I opted to go with new so I could add my own markings. 

I was wondering how many other people have purchased their books, if they bought used and about how much they spent.  I am a little  bummed that my books cost so much, as that money would have been well spent on other things, but I suppose it could have been a lot worse.  Its not that bad if you look at it as an investment. 

Looking forward to orientation next week. By the way, how many people are attending the 1L reception next tuesday?

southbound

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2005, 11:36:09 PM »
I bought them all at the FSU bookstore and my total was $581.  There were one or two supplement/study guide books no in stock yet, so that total will go up when I get those.  I didn't shop around and I only bought one book that was used.

gatherer

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2005, 05:42:04 PM »
I guess I have missed out again, but what reception are you referring to?

swimmy

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2005, 06:52:29 PM »
I guess I have missed out again, but what reception are you referring to?

They've sent out two newsletters so far, one in July and one in August.  According to the August newsletter there is a 1L reception on tuesday the 16th from 4-5 p.m. in the College of Law Rotunda. I am probably going to go, but I'm not sure.  I've only met a couple of law students so far, and this seems like a great way to meet more, but I don't like going to things like that solo.  Anyone feel the same way? 

-Swimmy