Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Touro or Cuny where should i transfer to  (Read 3542 times)

dkast

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Touro or Cuny where should i transfer to
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2005, 08:17:04 PM »
Go to CUNY, I got a 163 on my lsat and a 3.3 GPA from NYU with a double major in poli sci and philosophy and they rejected me.  Though I have been told that they really only take disadvantaged students and my work experience and address probably informed them that was not the case.

vw515

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2005, 11:02:18 PM »
they do not take disadvantage students at CUNY I go there and a few of my friends are also well to do. CUNY has a very strict policy if you get below a 2.3 any semester not cumulative you get kicked out. I believe if you transfer you can still get on Law Review but check it out not sure never had to check into that. The students are great and since we are technically not graded on a curve their is not much of a competitive spirit we all want to see the whole class succeed. It is public interest geared so you will have to network to get out into the business field but it is possible I have a friend who graduated and is working for one of the large firms in NY she interned with them and they kept her so it is possible just need a high GPA also to be in the competition. Touro is not highly ranked so if your like me and would rather be able to pay off your loans in a year or two depending on how much additional you have to borrow GO CUNY you will likely love the family feel of the school students pretty much get along except when it comes to politics then we get into heated debates that are fun. Good luck

dkast

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2005, 02:10:48 AM »
they do not take disadvantage students at CUNY I go there and a few of my friends are also well to do.

You may have to substitute Yale for CUNY if you want the above statement to make any sense :)

cantdecide

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2005, 08:28:28 AM »
tnax guys for all ur help.. anyone else that attend these schools.

vw515

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2005, 03:42:49 PM »
some of us actually care about people dkast. not everyone is running after money some of us want to make a difference in the world. some of us would like to help those that are less fortunate then us. I thank God for everything he has blessed me with in life and not many people have that privelege. So if giving up Yale (that I did not apply to) for CUNY is what would make that true I disagree. If I want biglaw in the future I can always work for one of my parents old buddies that always worked had some great jobs during my time off from school due to that. Dont make generalizations about the students at a school just because of the direction the school is geared towards. I hope you are more open when you become a lawyer or maybe you just enjoy reading over contracts and making extra money for someone who doesnt even morally deserve it while they screw over those who cant even afford to be screwed. BYE BYE

dkast

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Yale, Touro or Cuny where should i transfer to
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2005, 02:07:58 AM »
So if giving up Yale (that I did not apply to) for CUNY is what would make that true I disagree. I hope you are more open when you become a lawyer or maybe you just enjoy reading over contracts and making extra money for someone who doesnt even morally deserve it while they screw over those who cant even afford to be screwed. BYE BYE

VW515, you have totally misconstrued my statement.  I think its quite clear from my quote that I was telling the individual to substitute Yale for CUNY in the sentence "they do not take disadvantage students at CUNY I go there and a few of my friends are also well to do."  Not to substitute attending Yale or attending CUNY.

My point was that Yale does not take disadvantage students, it was a joke based on getting into Yale requires being in the elite and born with a silver spoon in your mouth (not true btw but it helps ;). )

In my opinion it really doesn’t matter what school you graduate from, yes I may be going to a "prestigious" institution but that is irrelevant to becoming a good attorney. 

What's important is your knowledge and analysis of the law.

When you submit a brief you do not sign it with Yale Class of 2008 or CUNY 2008. 

The judge will not ask you what law school you graduated from prior to presenting your oral arguments. 

He will only look at your knowledge and analysis of the law and how it applies to your case.

I am impressed with the voracity in your reply though you totally misconstrued the meaning of my post.

I hope this clears up the issue, if it does not send me an e-mail and we can discuss further.

later ;)

il Principe

• The Archon of Protocol
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2005, 02:15:53 AM »
some of us actually care about people dkast. not everyone is running after money some of us want to make a difference in the world. some of us would like to help those that are less fortunate then us. I thank God for everything he has blessed me with in life and not many people have that privelege. So if giving up Yale (that I did not apply to) for CUNY is what would make that true I disagree. If I want biglaw in the future I can always work for one of my parents old buddies that always worked had some great jobs during my time off from school due to that. Dont make generalizations about the students at a school just because of the direction the school is geared towards. I hope you are more open when you become a lawyer or maybe you just enjoy reading over contracts and making extra money for someone who doesnt even morally deserve it while they screw over those who cant even afford to be screwed. BYE BYE

Damn.  Great post.
"The most futile and disastrous day seems well spent when it is reviewed through the blue, fragrant smoke of a Havana Cigar" - Evelyn Waugh

dkast

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2005, 02:34:24 AM »
d**mn.  Great post.

Il Principe.

Did you even bother to read my reply?

vw515

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2005, 10:26:47 PM »
Hey Dkast no hard feelings oral advocacy is big at CUNY also. We are learning how to fight for people's rights. Good Luck in school have to get ready for oral arguments tommorrow (mock trial). Practice makes perfect