Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Touro or Cuny where should i transfer to  (Read 3458 times)

cantdecide

• View Profile
Touro or Cuny where should i transfer to
« on: August 09, 2005, 09:08:46 AM »
any one please help. I am transferring from st. thomas in Miami so I can live at home in NY and got into these 2 schools. Any advice would be appreciated especially from students that go to these schools?

scottxmacdougall

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Touro or Cuny where should i transfer to
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2005, 09:32:50 AM »
If you go solely on rankings then CUNY is a better bet; however, thats not always the best idea. Isn't CUNY a strictly public interest law school? If it is and you're lookingto get into that field then I's say go there. Also, its much closer to Manhattan than Touro. Thats always a plus.

cantdecide

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2005, 09:37:28 AM »
thanks for teh advice, im nto goin into public interest but the only reason im tinking about queens is teh cheap tuition but touro's last years bar passage was higher and they r building a new school openeing next year. sooo confused.keep the advice coming much appreciated.

legalkitty

• Sr. Citizen
  • The more people I meet, the more I like my cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2005, 10:44:41 AM »
thanks for teh advice, im nto goin into public interest but the only reason im tinking about queens is teh cheap tuition but touro's last years bar passage was higher and they r building a new school openeing next year. sooo confused.keep the advice coming much appreciated.

I would still go with CUNY over Touro if you are going into PI. The rep is great for that, it is DIRT cheap (Touro is kind of pricey), and I know Touro is building a new building, but who really knows what difference that will make.

I am also going into PI, and if I were down to those two choices, I would definitely go with CUNY. Either way though, I am sure you'll get a great eduation. Good luck!!
Attending: Widener PA!!
http://www.aldf.org

cantdecide

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2005, 10:49:26 AM »
thank you legal kitty. actually I am not going into public interest, Im gearing toward anything in teh business world since I have finance background, probably tax or corporate. I am not sure if I want to go to a school that has electives geared toward public interest but at the same time its really cheap... any more advice is appreciated

legalkitty

• Sr. Citizen
  • The more people I meet, the more I like my cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2005, 10:55:50 AM »
thank you legal kitty. actually I am not going into public interest, Im gearing toward anything in teh business world since I have finance background, probably tax or corporate. I am not sure if I want to go to a school that has electives geared toward public interest but at the same time its really cheap... any more advice is appreciated

Oh! Sorry, I didn't get it. Then I guess I would visit both and see which one you like more. Do you plan  on working on LI? Because that could certainly be a factor. Also, if Touro is going to throw some $$ your way, then that would certainly bridge the financial gap a little. Also, how is their tax and corporate law?  I would maybe lean towards Touro, but like I said, visit and see which one you like more. I think first impressions are definitely important.
Attending: Widener PA!!
http://www.aldf.org

cantdecide

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2005, 11:50:26 AM »
thanks guys for all your help. i would love to hear form any current students of tehse schools.

lincolnsgrandson

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2005, 12:08:42 PM »
Neither school pulls any weight with New York law firms. 
Do you have the opportunity to try for law review at either school?  Moot court?  Look into those factors.

abclaw

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2005, 12:14:03 PM »
Being a native New Yorker, I must tell you that Touro, by reputation, is not considered a serious law school.  I'd definitely choose CUNY regardless of what field you want to specialize in.  All recent JD's are considered generalists anyway - until they work a few years in a specialty. 

cantdecide

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2005, 12:33:35 PM »
I am actually a native new yorker also and thought that until i saw the bar passage rates where touro beat new york law school and tied with hofstra university which is tier 2. so thats when my confusion came about. Cuny is cheap but touro has higher bar passage and a new school opeing in a year thats integrated. so its a tough decision for me.