Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: What would you do?  (Read 806 times)

kalidescope

• View Profile
What would you do?
« on: August 08, 2005, 09:32:39 PM »
Because of my class rank, I was invited to write on to law review.  I attended the candidate class, but ultimately decided not to submit a case comment.  Imagine my surprise when I received a letter from the editor of law review stating that I had been accepted on to law review.  I called the editor and informed her that I had not written a case comment.  She checked with another board member and discovered that he had mixed up my name with someone else's.  She thanked me for being honest and correcting the mistake, and I assumed that was the end of the matter.  Today I recieved a letter from the dean's office congratulating me on making law review. I'm concerned that when school starts back, my name will be posted on the list of people who made law review and I'll have to explain to my friends/professors/anyone who tries to congratulate me that it was just a mistake.  I made a decision not to write on to law review, I caught the LR board member's mistake, and yet I'm still stuck in a situation that I find uncomfortable.  What should I do?

Bonkers, Jr.

• Meet Me At The Pier!
    • View Profile
Re: What would you do?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2005, 10:03:13 PM »
At this point, you have no choice but to bite the bullet and be on law review.

rapunzel

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2005, 10:06:20 PM »
It is annoying that you were placed in that position.  But now I'd say you are going to have to be prepared to articulate your reasons for not writing-on to anybody who asks.  I'd imagine saying, "Actually I choose not to write-on, but they seemed to have put me on the list anyway," would be sufficent for most people.  Personally, I'd follow the first sentence by saying, "You see, I just have mad skills."

NeXD

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2005, 10:39:19 PM »
At this point, you have no choice but to bite the bullet and be on law review.

;D

Benjamin

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2005, 12:16:30 AM »
What would you do if your son was at home
Crying all alone on the bedroom floor 'cause hes hungry
And the only way to feed him is to sleep wit a man for a little bit of money
And his daddy's gone
Somewhere smoking rock now
In and out of lock down
I ain't got a job now
So for you this is just a good time
But for me this is what I call life, mmmm

Is that how you feel?

Probably not, but her question started off the same.

Was this comment, that you failed to submit, part of a competition, or was it something that was merely a formality that guaranteed law review admission for anyone who was invited to submit?

Anyways, what would be so complicated about the story you would need to tell people?  "I didn't accept."

Shardik

• Sr. Citizen
  • Ignorance, the root and the stem of every evil.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2005, 12:17:46 AM »
My father was military for years before he went back to school.  Anyways, the Medal of Honor was placed on his record somehow!  He had to fight for over a year to get it removed! 

I good luck explaining this for the rest of you life  ;D

dkast

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2005, 12:42:13 AM »
Because of my class rank, I was invited to write on to law review.  I attended the candidate class, but ultimately decided not to submit a case comment.  Imagine my surprise when I received a letter from the editor of law review stating that I had been accepted on to law review.  I called the editor and informed her that I had not written a case comment.  She checked with another board member and discovered that he had mixed up my name with someone else's.  She thanked me for being honest and correcting the mistake, and I assumed that was the end of the matter.  Today I recieved a letter from the dean's office congratulating me on making law review. I'm concerned that when school starts back, my name will be posted on the list of people who made law review and I'll have to explain to my friends/professors/anyone who tries to congratulate me that it was just a mistake.  I made a decision not to write on to law review, I caught the LR board member's mistake, and yet I'm still stuck in a situation that I find uncomfortable.  What should I do?

Sorry about your situation but come on. 

How do you expect to become an attorney if you can't resolve this little mix up. 

Just go to the office and explain the situation and they will fix it.  This is a typical beuracratic mistake that you will encounter a million times in business and when you become an attorney :)